5 June 2017 Transport Group : DRAFT Minutes

Minutes of the 5 June 2017 Transport Group Committee

Avebury Parish Council

Held at 7:30pm on Monday 5 June 2017 at the Social Centre, Avebury SN8 1RF.

Present: M Brennan, D Brotheridge. R Macaire, S.Stacey, M Bedford, A Williamson.

  1. Apologies for absence: Apologies from T Lewis and L Moore
  2. Declarations of interest: None
  3. Acceptance of minutes of 19th April 2017: Accepted
  4. Actions from minutes:
      1. Update WHS Atkins progression : MB had telephone call with S Hind June 1st. SH has had several discussions with Atkins.  Atkins claim there are no issues with Beckhampton but potentially several with W Kennett and so want to separate them as projects.  SH has confirmed to Atkins that both go together  and is meeting to identify sticking points on W Kennett before calling for a meeting with MB and RM to discuss what compromises if any need to be made.This iterative approach is to minimise costs. He noted the individual responsible for the original plans and the current are meeting with him at the same time as there appears to be some differencing in opinion between these individuals which he wants to iron out before we meet as a group.  MB/SH to update in 2 weeks. Noted that the cyclothon has markedly raised the profile of transport in the WHS.
      2. Double Yellow Lines in Avebury Trusloe and Speed limit in Trusloe. Email trail with J Campbell suggests that community should be polled to check if these issues are live and if so where the lines/speed checks should be conducted.  Questionnaire is proposed for dropping in Trusloe to gauge the interest in each of these issues
      3. Footpath 22. Issue has been logged on Wiltshire County site. Details as of 2nd June 2017 are that it has been reassigned to the Highways SERVICE REQUEST #       CATEGORY    Public Rights of Way MB to Reactivate the proposal from J THomson re re-surfacing in financial year 16/17 by writing to J Davies and asking if this can be elevated.
  5. Actions from Village meeting: (a) Interim solutions for parking on Nursery Site .Can gravel be placed over the Nursery Site to prevent the grass from becoming a quagmire.  Problem is that there would have to be matting or gravel over the Centurion owned land so that cars could gain access to the current parking area. Not clear if Centurion are interested in giving us rights of access let alone to put rubber matting over their land to create a car parch access for 7-8 cars. Agreed that the first step should be to investigate potential costs of such matting first to determine if this is feasible first then report back. (b) Speed monitoring through Avebury and Avebury Trusloe – see item 4.b above.
  6. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis. Report submitted. Lots of detail and total costs identified as 14k for replacing all posts with Oak and installing them. Paper will be presented at October meeting to review the practicalities of the various segments of the whole plan. Ultimately funding will be an issue. Idea of non commercial sponsored posts with donator in the upright routed in rather than inked suggested by MBrennan as a means to part fund the process.
  7. Cyclothon for fundraising – Moya B cycled a total of 298  miles over 3 days and raised £568.Discussion as to whether it is going to be an annual event.  Additional ideas for next year including advertising more with locals and involving local schools to guess the distances before hand, colouring in etc,more sponge throwing etc etc. Idea of a calendar for the transport group to sell in the Henge/Village shop.  Suggested that discussion of potential ideas for next cyclothon should go on the agenda for October to December meeting.
  8. Avenue Closure
    1. The village meeting addressed this and it has gone to the WH Committee who want an evidence based proposal.
    2. Way forward – Transport group could develop a template to highlight the pros and cons of closure. Once this template is completed then the data to support or refute these issues needs to be gathered.
      Pros Cons
      Presevation of verges and historic artifacts

      Tranquility in Avenue

      Reduced danger

      Busses actually go through Beckhampton en route to Swindon

      Enhanced cyclepath 45/safer

      Increased travel time to Swindon

      Increased A4 traffic through Beckhampton and past Avebury Trusloe

       

      Also need to get traffic flow data from Wiltshire Council.

  9. Any other business: points to consider for next meeting agenda:
      1. Footpath between Silbury Hill and Beckhampton to make a circular route.
      2. Footpath from Avebury towards Swindon towards Dorwyn Manor. At present only alternative is to walk on the road.
      3. Similarly from Gunsite Road eastwards there is only the A4 to walk on to gain access to the Avenue.
  10. Date of next meeting: 10th August 2017, 19:30 at the social centre

5 June 2017 Transport Group Committee : Agenda

Avebury Parish Council

A meeting of the Transport Group Committee will be held at 7:30pm on Monday 5 June 2017 at the Social Centre, Avebury SN8 1RF.

All members of the public and press are welcome to attend.

Liz Moore, Clerk to Avebury Parish Council, 30th May 2017

Agenda

  1. Apologies for absence
  2. Declarations of interest
  3. Acceptance of minutes of 19th April 2017
  4. Actions from minutes: (a) Update WHS Atkins progression (b) Double Yellow Lines in Avebury Trusloe (c) Speed limit in Trusloe (d) Footpath 22
  5. Actions from Village meeting: (a) Interim solutions for parking on Nursery Site (b) Speed monitoring through Avebury and Avebury Trusloe
  6. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis
  7. Cyclothon for fundraising – Moya
  8. Avenue Closure
  9. Any other business
  10. Date of next meeting

19 April 2017 Transport Group Committee : Draft Minutes

Draft Minutes of the Transport Group

A committee of the Avebury Parish Council

19th April 2017 

Present:  Rob Macaire,  Andrew Williamson,  Moya Brannan, Mike Bedford

  1. Apologies for absence: Stephen Stacey, Tim lewis
  2. Declarations of interest: None
  3. Acceptance of minutes of 13th December 2016: All corrections made except for “Avebury’s” (apostrophe needed!) in last line of item 9, and in item 6, 4th line, it should be A4361, not 361.
  4. Actions from minutes:
    1. MB to contact Steve Hind and arrange a meeting with Rob Macaire and Sarah Simmonds to discuss the proposals re WHS transport plan – see item 5
    1. MB/RM to poll local residents re funding – completed
    2. MBrennan to ask Ryan whether we can conduct a sponsored cyclethon at the pub to raise significant funds for the sustrans projects and others – see note 8 below
  5. Update re meeting with Stephen Hind and review of work plans for WHS transport document progression. MB and RM                                                                Meeting notes circulated. Next step, suggested MB phones Stephen Hind to get feedback on progress so far. Ask Sarah Simmonds as well for update. Point regarding the closure/part closure of the Avenue was discussed at the meeting and covered at length again. Agreed that the topic needs to be addressed by putting out a position paper listing pros and cons. Closing of the Avenue may also have to be linked to reduced speed limits elsewhere – eg Trusloe. Position paper to be developed with input from parishioners following the raising of this subject at 25th April Village meeting. Sarah Simmonds to be kept informed
  6.  Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis. Deferred in the absence of TL
  7.  Double yellow lines in Trusloe outside number 5. Discussed and now needs to be reviewed as the situation has changed. MB to talk with John Campbell to assess the situation. (Number 1) (07825 073820).
  8.  Speed limit request in Trusloe – Transport group needs more information on when and where the problem exists as we need guidance as to when we should do the speed check. MB to talk with John Campbell
  9.  Cyclothon for fundraising – Moya
    1. Advertising underway and the pub has said yes for May 27, 28 and 29. Bikes would be at the top bar. Wilts Radio, Sustrans and Gazette and Herald emailed and asked to publicise the event
    1. WI and others will make cup cakes for donations.
    2. Raffle for guessing total miles cycled each day and over the 3 days
    3. Track stand competition
    4. If anyone is interested then contact Moya
    5. MB to check if Marl fitness centre is interested in helping out on the Monday
  10. Footpath 22  – resurfacing is urgent.  MB to log on to Wilts web site and register the problem
  11. Signage Audit update. MB spoke to SS and there is no pro-forma. No further action
  12. Any other business: None
  13. Date of next meeting: Suggested after Village meeting. 2,3,4 May?
  14. Meeting ended 21:20

13 December 2016 Transport Group : Minutes

Minutes of the Transport Group

A committee of the Avebury Parish Council

December 13th 2016

Present:  Rob Macaire, Stephen Stacey Andrew Williamson, Tim Lewis, Moya Brennan, Mike Bedford

  1. Apologies for absence: Angela Norman, Liz Moore
  2. Declarations of interest: None
  3. Acceptance of minutes of 8th March 2016: Corrections suggested by TL accepted and implemented. Accepted.
  4. Actions from minutes: Land at Trusloe for parking at 1-6. Still not clear but also requires housing needs survey output first to determine best use of the land.
  5. Update report from Dr MB and AW including: (i) Extension of 30 mph limit on A4361 Swindon Road: Completed and has had some definite benefits in reducing speeds past Rawlins Park but cars still overtake. Double white lines not an option however as there needs to be limited sight lines to justify. (ii)  Follow up for Atkins design brief for Beckhampton and West Kennett (See appendix 1. Atkin’s report and costings, previously circulated to members).

Discussions noted that there may be some benefit to have representatives of both Beckhampton and West Kennett to discuss some of the suggestions in the brief with Steve Hind.   Inclusion of Sarah Simmonds in the meeting would also be of benefit.

West Kennet for example – Great proposal but stumbling blocks are evident and their impact could be limited if they were phased. It may be that the path in the verge need not be addressed at the same time as narrowing the road for example. Closing the Avenue – would be of benefit to the A4 at West Kennett but should not be linked to it. Suggested that the transport group could bring a proposal to the APC  that the Avenue be closed and see what reaction is noted from the parish.  The proposal would list the benefits as being:

  1. Reduced wear and tear in a sensitive archaelogical area
  2. Safety
  3. Benefits to pedestrians and cycling route
  4. Diverts buses back through Beckhampton which they can currently miss
  5. Allows narrowing of the A4
  6. Conducive to improving the outstanding universal value.                                 HOWEVER, it would be of benefit to run this suggestion via Steve Hind and Sarah Simmonds at the same meeting proposed to review the A4 at Beckhampton and West Kennet but separate the two issues. Information gleaned from this meeting regarding additional benefits of closure of the Avenue may aid in selling the proposal to the Parish.                                                                              Beckhampton                                                                                                    Splitter islands welcomed as is the whole proposal but noted that the splitter on the A4 eastwards should have a cut though to allow access and exit from the pub car parks or end the splitter before the pub. Also not clear whether the bus stop should be on the carriageway given the splitter islands will effectively mean that a parked bus will block the carriageway.                                                                                                          Money: Costs for the designs are £18765 for both schemes. Parish is willing to cover 25% of the two schemes together – costs are Beckhampton £9650 and the fixed fee for West Kennet is £9125. Some money could be raised from local residents and then incentivise CATG to fund the remainder. The group is hopeful that we can raise 25%  from local residents, a suggestion which could be raised at the CATG meeting (15th December) which AW will attend. Also suggested that we could approach Sustrans as a potential supporter of the initiative to raise funds and similarly engage Sarah Simmonds.                                                       Actions:
  • MB to contact Steve Hind and arrange a meeting with Rob Macaire and Sarah       Simmonds to discuss the proposals as noted above
  • MB/RM to poll local residents re funding
  • MBrennan to ask Ryan whether a Sustrans approach of a sponsored cyclethon at the pub may raise significant funds for this project
  1. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis
    1. Maps of footpaths in APC presented. Meeting held on 13 July 2016 with Stephen Leonard who is the Senior Warden at Wiltshire Council in charge of footpaths in North Wiltshire, including Avebury. As a result, one synthetic sign has been put up from A4361 towards Windmill Hill although two signs originally requested by Mr Lewis. The National Trust also put a sign up opposite their car park pointing towards Silbury Hill. Wiltshire council are now down to last 20 signs so no new ones will be placed. Costs of new signage, if we were to replace with oak itemised in TLs report. Costs don’t include working brief for monumental consent. Recycled plastic signs last a lot longer and are one third of the cost (£5700). Idea is to have consistent signs for the whole of the WHS. MBrennan suggested oak signs in the centre of the village and recycled ones further out, as long as they have the same logo/design. APC may contribute some funds to this project as there were some reserves

Actions: Ask Sarah Simmonds and Stephen Leonard if we can arrange a meeting to discuss replacement signs in the whole of the WHS.

  1. Update on double yellow lines in Trusloe: Keep under review
  2. Great West Way project – Interaction with WHS transport strategy

Calne wanted to increase its tourist income by putting a vintage rally in place. But this has now been superceded by Visit Wiltshire who are trying to increase visitation to the A4 corridor by encouraging online bookings from abroad. Funding of £24 million is available. Message from Avebury is that we don’t want an increase in footfall in and around the village and monument

  1. A303 plans near Stonehenge and implications for Avebury – information only

Short tunnel proposal for A303 is such that it would emerge within the WHS and as a result may jeopardise the archaeology and the status of Stonehenge as a WHS. Since Avebury and Stonehenge are linked as a single WHS, the loss of WHS for Stonehenge would lose Avebury’s status as well.

  1. Signage Audit: Road sign audit needs to be completed. Ask Sarah Simmonds for the proforma as discussed
  2. Any other business: None
  3. Date of next meeting: TBA

Meeting adjourned at 21:35

Appendices

1.  Atkin’s Report and Costings

8 March 2016 Transport Group Meeting : Minutes

8 March 2016 Transport Group Meeting

A committee of the Avebury Parish Council

Present : Mike Bedford, Rob Macaire, Angela Norman, Andrew Williamson, Tim Lewis, Dave Brotheridge.

1. Apologies for absence – Liz Moore. Steven and Moira and Peter Wilson, David Brotheridge (for first 30 minutes of meeting). Mike Daniel no longer a member via Parish Council.
1. Question of quorum came up as only 2 parish council members were present and at the initiation of the meeting 3 members of the public. Agreed we should assume quorum and proceed
2. Declarations of interest
1. None
3. Acceptance of minutes of 18th January 2016
1. RM suggested that the crossing points should be considered as a phased development and not be considered as an alternative to the developments of the main plans.
Proposed AW seconded TL
4. Actions from minutes: Proforma from Sarah Simmonds (SS) for Signage Audit – SS has made several inquiries but as yet not found the relevant person. She will be meeting with WC and feedback once she has located the right person. Will not cover footpaths but all other signage.
5. Update report from Dr MB and AW including:
(i) Application to CATG for extension of 30 mph limit on A4361 Swindon Road, This has gone in and will be confirmed at the CATG on 17th March. APC has agreed to put up £1000  or 25% of total cost (whichever is lower) to match funding for this work as this is now a pre-requisite for such work to go ahead
(ii) Informal crossing points. No developments as yet. MB/AW to discuss ideas with Sarah Simmonds
(iii) Non-slip surface across A4 at Beckhampton
AW to meet with Martin Cook (highways engineer) to look at non-slip surface for horses. Could be done with v little funding and agree that it could be linked to the informal crossing point design as discussed in item ii) above
6. Funding: including raising private contributions for fees for design work on A4 at Beckhampton and West Kennett.
Sukhvir Kaur (who is the secretary servicing CATG) contacted to get costs for getting a detailed quote for the overall design work. MB to re-send the request with comment that we are ready to contribute from private, business and local funds.
7. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis including list of existing, missing and desirable signposts, and list of rights of way in Avebury parish (for information).
1. Audit is now 2.5 pages. Signposts are either synthetic black posts but there are also wooden posts with fingers with names and distances – latter more informative, better looking but looking old and in need of replacement. Some have the fingers missing. Where a footpath leaves a metalled road there is a statutory obligation to have a sign. This is not always adhered to. Not clear who put them in but some do comply with the sign requirements (eg horse for bridleway) and some don’t. Such wooden signposts more desirable but question is cost – may be more expensive, but regardless they should be compliant. Cycleway signage is also sporadic and needs auditing for veracity. Target is to identify which signs need replacing and have discussion with highways authority as to which they are obliged to replace. TL to talk with Richard Broadhead (Wilts Rights of Way officer) and Sarah Simmonds regarding what is obligatory.  Question whether such signage consistency should be extended throughout the WHS was discussed and agreed was a good idea.
8. Signage Audit
See item above
9. Parking in Avebury Trusloe:
(i) Update on WC meeting with private landowners.  Meeting on 14th March with Centurion, Aster and Wiltshire Council to discuss possible solutions
(ii) Review of parking outside 1-6 Trusloe Cottages. Different points of view, some think it is a good idea but owners of 1-6 think it is a bad idea. Will likely come up at AGM for APC. Soundings of Trusloe residents will discover whether they want eg railings removed to allow parking. Currently no solution.
(iii) Survey of perceived and actual speeds in Avebury Trusloe. Needs to be monitored with speed gun. MB to contact Antoinette and find who raised the issue to find out when would be best to monitor
10. Any other business
1. Avenue – RM – Question regarding closing the Avenue. Up to this point in time this issue has been avoided to prevent conflict as opinions are divided. Should we have an opinion? This point should be put on the agenda for next meeting so it can be discussed and output/idea forwarded to APC for potential polling of views from the community
2. Chevrons in Avebury, leaving towards Swindon seem to be wanting. Questioned as to whether this is needed. Recall from meeting with Dave Thomas and Philip Whitehead was that they are not legally required in 30mph zones.
11. Date of next meeting: 19th April @ 1900hr

18 Jan 2016 Transport Group : Minutes

Avebury Parish Council

Transport Group

Minutes of the Transport Group Committee of Avebury Parish Council held at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF at 8pm on Monday 18th January 2016.

In these minutes APC stands for Avebury Parish Council, AONB for Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, AWHS for Avebury World Heritage Site, CATG for Community Area Transport Group, DfT for Department of Transport and WC for Wiltshire Council.

Time Start: 20:03

  1. Transport Group members present: Dr Mike Bedford (Chairman of the Group and Vice-Chairman APC), Mike Daniel, Tim Lewis, Rob Macaire, Angela Norman and Andrew Williamson (member and Chairman of APC).                         Members of the public present: none.                                                                 In attendance: Liz Moore (Clerk).
  2. Apologies for absence: Stephen Stacey.
  3. Declarations of interest: none
  4. Acceptance of minutes of 19th November 2015: the minutes were unanimously agreed as an accurate record. Proposed by Mr Williamson and seconded by Mr Daniel.
  5. Actions from minutes: Dr MB and AW to follow up with SS for the proforma required for the signage audit.
  6. Report from Dr MB and AW on 5 January 2016 meeting with WC’s Cabinet Member for Highways Cllr Philip Whitehead and Highways Engineer Dave Thomas. The Chairman asked members for their feedback on the notes from the meeting on 5 January 2016 at County Hall including the discussion on the four elements from the Transport Strategy contained in the notes dated 14 January 2016 (previously circulated to members and see appendix 1).
    • RM questioned the tone of the meeting and reflected that there seemed to be a lot of negative responses from WC.

    The Chairman said that the meeting was not unduly negative; while some suggestions had been resisted, WC had made some positive suggestions as well.  He explained that a lot of the smaller projects were going to be more expensive than originally perceived and there was a question mark as to whether legislation or DfT guidance would be used to give the go ahead for a project. He said that on a positive note that meant implementation of the proposals would require negotiations by the Parish Council.

    • MD said he was annoyed by the suggestion a 40 or 50 mph buffer zone north of a new 30mph limit on A4361 would not work and that a no overtaking policy on Swindon Road had to be dangerous to be implemented.

    The Chairman explained if the new 30 mph limit on the A4361 didn’t improve safety then the Parish Council could still request additional works at a later date. He added that WC was not unsympathetic to the need for the major works on the A4 at Beckhampton and West Kennett but that budgets were very tight.

    AW reported WC had limited capacity to draft a design with a costing for works on the A4 as they only had one person working on Highways locally.  But at the CATG meeting on 17 December it had been resolved that CATG would ask WC to get consultants Atkins to quote a price to draw up plans and provide costs. CATG anticipated that their fee was likely to be in the region of at least £5,000. Members noted the next CATG meeting would be taking place on 17 March.

    AW introduced WC’s suggestion of implementing informal pedestrian crossings within the Parish. Members expressed a lot of support for the idea and were keen on having several crossing points across the Parish including in the middle of the village. AW explained crossings would need to be distinct to the AWHS and use for example a chalk or neutral colour. Members noted that to drive the project forward SS would need to get all the partners together to agree a scheme.

  7. Report from AW on CATG meeting 17 December 2015: already covered under item 6. AN asked for clarification on purpose of CATG within the structure of WC. AW explained there were 18 Area Boards with budgets in Wiltshire, Marlborough Area Board being one of them.  CATG was a sub group (consisting of 4 WC Councillors) that dealt with low budget Highways issues. CATG had had larger budgets in earlier years which had, for example, enabled it to fund the £11,000 cost of the pavement extension near Avebury Trusloe bus shelters, but funding was much reduced now.  He added CATG was the gate-keeper to bigger funding sources such as the Highways Substantive Fund and could move projects towards those sources.
    • Decision: members noted a copy of the meeting notes of 5 January had been sent to APC members for consideration at next Council meeting on 2 February and that after that meeting Dr MB and AW would request another meeting with WC. Transport Group members endorsed this process, approving the recommendations set out in the paper. Proposed by RM, seconded MD and carried unanimously.
  8. Footpaths: the Chairman invited TL to introduce his proposals for improving the footpaths in Avebury and see report (appendix 2). A map of the Parish footpaths was also tabled. TL reported the footpaths were generally in good condition except those use by 4×4 vehicles or tractors and listed several observations contained in the report. TL said that since his report issues on route AVEB15 had been addressed and stiles were now in place at both ends of the path. Members noted TL had only walked the footpaths in Avebury and not the whole of the AWHS. In discussion members expressed concern that considerable damage had been recently done to a byway near Adam and Eve stones by 4×4 vehicles and noted the police were now involved as landowners’ fences had also been damaged. Action: AW advised Beth Thomas at WC was currently producing a footpath plan and Transport Group should point TL in her direction. TL added there was a need for consistent policy to replace all footpath signage. It was noted TL could find no reference that signs should be made of oak and strongly recommended the use of synthetic signs. TL to draw up a list and email the Clerk.
  9. Signage Audit: members noted they were waiting for pro-forma from SS.
  10. Parking in Avebury Trusloe: AW reported WC had received a positive reply from the private land owners and they had agreed to attend a meeting. AW added the Parish Council had carried out a site visit to Avebury Trusloe on Saturday 16 January and had also looked at the possibility of car parking provision in the area outside 1-5 Trusloe Cottages.
  11. Any other business: none
  12. Date of next meeting: provisional date: 7pm on 7 or 8 March at the Social Centre
  13. The meeting closed at 21:11

Appendices:

  1. Notes from meeting with Cllr Philip Whitehead, Dave Thomas, Sarah Simmonds, Andrew Williamson and Mike Bedford on 5 January 2016 at County Hall.
  2. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis dated 7 July 2015.

[The AWHS Transport Strategy was also viewed by members at the meeting].