28th June 2016 ACSReC meeting

A meeting of Avebury Community Sports and Recreation Committee (ACSReC) held in the pavilion at 7.30pm on Tuesday 28th May 2016.

In these minutes APC refers to Avebury Parish Council, AYFC to Avebury Youth Football Club, ACC to Avebury Cricket Club, COG to Community Orchard Group, ASSC for Avebury Sports and Social Club, NT for the National Trust, HSE for Health & Safety Executive, COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health), UKN for Upper Kennet News

Present Avebury Parish Councillor Mrs Maggie Lewis, Mr Dominic Fry (ACC), Mr Bruce Hinder (AYFC), Mr Alan Blake (ASSC) and Mrs Janet Polack (COG)

Apologies for absence were received from Mrs Lynzey Paradise, Dr Mike Bedford and Mrs Di Gater

Declarations of interest None

Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising from

The minutes of the last meeting were proposed as correct by Mr Fry and seconded by Mr Blake.  Mrs Lewis signed them for the APC minute book.

    1. Kings Drummers parking – 27 cars were parked by members of the King’s Drummers.  Mrs Paradise and Mr Blake stayed for the drumming and saw all the vehicles off the field by 11.30 p.m.  Mrs Lewis has the deposit cheque and it was suggested we ask that it be a donation, otherwise it will be destroyed.
    2. Mr Fry said he had received reports of someone coming to the pavilion, smoking a lot outside and ‘pushing the Hoover around’. He had ascertained that this was Ms Wood.

The Hoover was found to be broken and had been dumped in the shed. (It was                    subsequently ascertained that the Hoover had been placed in the shed for safe                  keeping while spares were sought)

                 Mrs Gater has had to buy supplies of paper towels and toilet paper.  Washing                      up liquid is still needed.  It was decided that a list of duties for the cleaner be                        drawn up for her to work to and that Mrs Gater should impress on her the need                    to stick to this.  Mr Fry will draft this.

                 Mrs Lewis suggested that supplies could be purchased via the community shop                  as and when needed. This was accepted as a good way of keeping the pavilion                  resourced.

Scheme of delegations

As Mrs Paradise was unable to attend the meeting, Mrs Lewis suggested that she and Mrs Paradise work on a draft scheme for presentation at the next meeting

Health & Safety Guidelines for the field and pavilion

Mr Fry pointed out that there was already a set of Health and Safety guidelines, printed by the HSE on display – these were on the inside of the kitchen door! They were moved to be displayed in a more prominent position and the need for a Health & Safety contact (Mrs Lewis?) and to put the details of WC H&S contacts noted.

Mr Blake asked if Ms Wood had been instructed in the COSHH guidelines as she works with cleaning products.  Mrs Lewis said she wasn’t aware of the guidelines but would research and she and Mrs Gater will make sure Ms Wood knows what to do.

Fundraising

Mr Fry reported that the Cricket Club had purchased two donation buckets and put them on the fence on the day of the Authors cricket match (19th June) – a grand total of £7 was collected!  The low amount was probably due to the very poor weather that day and they will try again at future matches.  He also stated that the coffee van, Carpuccino, had been invited to the cricket on the same day and had been there for 2 hours.  The owners had reported that they had enjoyed doing this, had been supported by locals as well as visitors and would be happy to do the same again.  In future it may be possible that they would donate a percentage of their takings to ACSReC.  There had been no feedback from the NT.

Mr Blake said that the snooker table in the club had been sold and that this would give them much more space to hold a table top sale in future.  He had put the idea to the ASSC committee who had agreed to it.  Dates were discussed and 17th September was decided on.  Ads will be put in the July and August editions of UKN for sellers and the public and possible the ‘What’s On’ section of the local paper.

Mrs Lewis reported that she had been speaking to the local ladies looking for a venue for their Pilates class.  They are keen to find a suitable space which the pavilion could provide.  An hourly rate needs to be decided on and should include the cost of heating/lighting for the colder months.

Mr Hinder said that AYFC would like to run a 6-a-side tournament at the end of next season. The date will be decided on in October when the fixtures list is finalised but he would prefer a date in June.  The event would be run over a weekend – Friday evening to Sunday and the age groups would be U10, U11 & U13, U14 and U15.  The U18 team will not be playing next season.  He would need to borrow 4 sets of goal posts to supplement the club’s 2 and asked if anyone had contacts at Marlborough College.  Mr Fry offered to speak to someone he knows there.

It was suggested that collecting buckets be put out in the Pav Caff on Avebury Day in September for the ‘Save our Roof’ fund.

Maintenance

    1. Grant for roof – Mrs Paradise has been talking to Marlborough Area Board to see if funding to repair the roof would be possible.  It is difficult as they don’t give grants to PC’s and the sports clubs don’t own the building.  A full report will be given next meeting
    2. Entrance to sports field – it was noted some time ago that the entrance gateway was becoming increasingly potholed and that some repairs should be carried out as soon as possible.  Mr Fry and Mr Blake will investigate the possibility of doing this themselves.

Bookings

    1. All seems to be going well with the builders using the pavilion.  Ms Wood or the cricket grounds man should report any problems.
    2. Map seller – a cheque has been received for 10 bookings but it wasn’t clear how many times Mr Colcomb had been at the field this summer as the weather had been very poor.

User groups

    1. AYFC – nothing to report
    2. ACC – Mr Fry noted that ACC had undertaken various repairs in the pavilion, namely the hanging of mirrors in the bathrooms and changing rooms, painting of benches, towel dispensers installed in bathrooms and the beading over the changing room door repaired.  They had also purchased a small lawnmower for cutting smaller areas (such as round the orchard trees) that were inaccessible to the tractor mower.  All the compostable material that had been dumped had been pushed into one area and will be boxed off to make a compost heap to keep the area tidy.

He asked for the APC bank account details so that ACC could pay their match                    fees electronically.  Mrs Lewis will ask the Parish Clerk to supply these.

He also reported that the supplier for the racking for the storage shed had let                      them down and that a refund was being given.  Materials will be purchased to                      build suitable storage racking.

The maintenance plan should include all work done and costs incurred and he                     felt that ACSReC should consider payment to those who had done the work.

                   COG – Mrs Polack reported that the weeding day had been cancelled due to                      bad weather but they were hoping to organise another date in July or                                   September to clear the guards around the new whips of grass and weeds.  The                   coppicing will need working parties and they will select a date, preferably a                         Sunday, in July.

New permission to clear behind the pavilion is to be applied for so that the work                   can be done later this year.

The COG would like to hold Apple Day on Saturday 8th October this year, at                       the pavilion.  Mr Fry noted this for the bookings calendar

Finance

    1. Lloyds Bank update – Mrs Paradise is to speak to Mrs Haines, of ASA, to get her signature on the bank mandate which should then allow us to access the money in the Lloyds account.
    2. Cheques for payment:
      1. Fencing £264.00
      2. Mrs D. Gater £  35.98 for supplies for pavilion
      3. Ms F. Wood £117.24 for cleaning the pavilion

Proposed by Bruce Hinder, seconded by Alan Blake

 Date of next meeting

Mrs Lewis noted that at the first meeting of ACSReC it had been decided to review the frequency of meetings in 6 months and asked the committee if monthly meeting were still needed.  The committee felt that they were as there was still a lot of work to be done and that monthly meetings were still needed to keep a track of this.

There being no other business the meeting closed at 21.10 p.m.