13 December 2016 Transport Group : Draft Minutes

Draft Minutes of the Transport Group

A committee of the Avebury Parish Council

December 13th 2016

Present:  Rob Macaire, Stephen Stacey Andrew Williamson, Tim Lewis, Moya Brennan, Mike Bedford

  1. Apologies for absence: Angela Norman, Liz Moore
  2. Declarations of interest: None
  3. Acceptance of minutes of 8th March 2016: Corrections suggested by TL accepted and implemented. Accepted.
  4. Actions from minutes: Land at Trusloe for parking at 1-6. Still not clear but also requires housing needs survey output first to determine best use of the land.
  5. Update report from Dr MB and AW including: (i) Extension of 30 mph limit on A4361 Swindon Road: Completed and has had some definite benefits in reducing speeds past Rawlins Park but cars still overtake. Double white lines not an option however as there needs to be limited sight lines to justify. (ii)  Follow up for Atkins design brief for Beckhampton and West Kennett (See appendix 1. Atkin’s report and costings, previously circulated to members).

Discussions noted that there may be some benefit to have representatives of both Beckhampton and West Kennett to discuss some of the suggestions in the brief with Steve Hind.   Inclusion of Sarah Simmonds in the meeting would also be of benefit.

West Kennet for example – Great proposal but stumbling blocks are evident and their impact could be limited if they were phased. It may be that the path in the verge need not be addressed at the same time as narrowing the road for example. Closing the Avenue – would be of benefit to the A4 at West Kennett but should not be linked to it. Suggested that the transport group could bring a proposal to the APC  that the Avenue be closed and see what reaction is noted from the parish.  The proposal would list the benefits as being:

  1. Reduced wear and tear in a sensitive archaelogical area
  2. Safety
  3. Benefits to pedestrians and cycling route
  4. Diverts buses back through Beckhampton which they can currently miss
  5. Allows narrowing of the A4
  6. Conducive to improving the outstanding universal value.                                 HOWEVER, it would be of benefit to run this suggestion via Steve Hind and Sarah Simmonds at the same meeting proposed to review the A4 at Beckhampton and West Kennet but separate the two issues. Information gleaned from this meeting regarding additional benefits of closure of the Avenue may aid in selling the proposal to the Parish.                                                                              Beckhampton                                                                                                    Splitter islands welcomed as is the whole proposal but noted that the splitter on the A4 eastwards should have a cut though to allow access and exit from the pub car parks or end the splitter before the pub. Also not clear whether the bus stop should be on the carriageway given the splitter islands will effectively mean that a parked bus will block the carriageway.                                                                                                          Money: Costs for the designs are £18765 for both schemes. Parish is willing to cover 25% of the two schemes together – costs are Beckhampton £9650 and the fixed fee for West Kennet is £9125. Some money could be raised from local residents and then incentivise CATG to fund the remainder. The group is hopeful that we can raise 25%  from local residents, a suggestion which could be raised at the CATG meeting (15th December) which AW will attend. Also suggested that we could approach Sustrans as a potential supporter of the initiative to raise funds and similarly engage Sarah Simmonds.                                                       Actions:
  • MB to contact Steve Hind and arrange a meeting with Rob Macaire and Sarah       Simmonds to discuss the proposals as noted above
  • MB/RM to poll local residents re funding
  • MBrennan to ask Ryan whether a Sustrans approach of a sponsored cyclethon at the pub may raise significant funds for this project
  1. Footpaths: report by Tim Lewis
    1. Maps of footpaths in APC presented. Meeting held on 13 July 2016 with Stephen Leonard who is the Senior Warden at Wiltshire Council in charge of footpaths in North Wiltshire, including Avebury. As a result, one synthetic sign has been put up from A361 towards Windmill Hill although two signs originally requested by Mr Lewis. The National Trust also put a sign up opposite their car park pointing towards Silbury Hill. Wiltshire council are now down to last 20 signs so no new ones will be placed. Costs of new signage, if we were to replace with oak itemised in TLs report. Costs don’t include working brief for monumental consent. Recycled plastic signs last a lot longer and are one third of the cost (£5700). Idea is to have consistent signs for the whole of the WHS. MBrennan suggested oak signs in the centre of the village and recycled ones further out, as long as they have the same logo/design. APC may contribute some funds to this project as there were some reserves

Actions: Ask Sarah Simmonds and Stephen Leonard if we can arrange a meeting to discuss replacement signs in the whole of the WHS.

  1. Update on double yellow lines in Trusloe: Keep under review
  2. Great West Way project – Interaction with WHS transport strategy

Calne wanted to increase its tourist income by putting a vintage rally in place. But this has now been superceded by Visit Wiltshire who are trying to increase visitation to the A4 corridor by encouraging online bookings from abroad. Funding of £24 million is available. Message from Avebury is that we don’t want an increase in footfall in and around the village and monument

  1. A303 plans near Stonehenge and implications for Avebury – information only

Short tunnel proposal for A303 is such that it would emerge within the WHS and as a result may jeopardise the archaeology and the status of Stonehenge as a WHS. Since Avebury and Stonehenge are linked as a single WHS, the loss of WHS for Stonehenge would lose Aveburys status as well.

  1. Signage Audit: Road sign audit needs to be completed. Ask Sarah Simmonds for the proforma as discussed
  2. Any other business: None
  3. Date of next meeting: TBA

Meeting adjourned at 21:35

Appendices

1.  Atkin’s Report and Costings