25 April 2017 Annual Parish Meeting : Draft Minutes

Avebury Parish Council          

Draft minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting held on the 25 April 2017 at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF.

In these minutes, ACSReC stands for Avebury Community Sports and Recreation Committee, AHA for Aster Housing Association, AONB for North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, APC for Avebury Parish Council, ASA for Avebury Sportsfield Association, ASOPM for Avebury Solstice Operational Planning Meeting, ASSC for Avebury Sports and Social Club, ASSF for Avebury Sacred Sites Forum, CATG for Community Area Transport Group, DfT for Department of Transport, EH for English Heritage, FWO for Fyfield and West Overton Parish Council, LGO for Local Government Ombudsman, LTA for Long Term Agreement, MAB for Marlborough Area Board, NT for the National Trust, TTRO for temporary Traffic Regulation Order, TVM for Traffic and Vehicle Management Group, WC for Wiltshire Council and WHS for World Heritage Site.

Time Started: 19:05

Present: Councillors Mr Andrew Williamson (Chairman), Mrs Maggie Lewis (Vice-Chairman), Mr Jon Campbell (from item 4.i.i onwards), Mr Terence O’Connor, Mrs Lynzey Paradise, Ms Zandria Service and Mr Stephen Stacey, together with 29 members of the public who were present for all or part of the meeting.

Apologies: Councillors Dr Mike Bedford and Mr David Brotheridge, PCSO Lucy Stonestreet, Mike and Jan Polack, Brian and Helen Vickers, Reverend Maria Shepherdson, John and Geraldine Wimble, Gill Swanton and Philippe and Dominique Ullens.

In attendance: Wiltshire Councillor Jemima Milton, Michele Lomas (Chair of Avebury Community Shop and representative of the Community Orchard), PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers) Melissa Camilleri and Paula Yarranton to item 4.e., Hilary Makins (NT Wiltshire Countryside Manager) and Peter Oliver (NT Wiltshire Landscape Ranger), Sarah Simmonds (WHS Partnership Manager), Liam Wiseman (WHS Partnership Officer) and Miss Liz Moore, Clerk to APC.

  1. Welcome and introductions: The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming all present and said it was the parishioner’s meeting at which the Parish Council reported on the past year and planned for the future and that it was very much a two way process. He then outlined some ground rules and asked that contributions should be limited to a couple of minutes, that everyone should treat each other with respect and all should concentrate on addressing issues. It was noted members of the press were not present. He reported Parish Council members were Dr Mike Bedford (Vice Chairman), Maggie Lewis (Vice Chairman), David Brotheridge, Jon Campbell, Terence O’ Connor, Lynzey Paradise, Stephen Stacey, Zandria Service and himself. He reported Jemima Milton was Avebury’s WC Councillor and also Chair of CATG, and thanked her in particular for attending as the meeting that evening would be her last Parish Meeting. The Chairman then introduced Liz Moore (APC’s Clerk from Lockeridge) and Judy Farthing  (Civil Emergency Officer). He reported Kate Fry had done much to update APC’s Website, Ron Dobson gave advice on buildings, David Throup was Editor of UKN and Martin Rendle and John Giles worked as Handymen for the Parish Council. He said he was also pleased to welcome to the meeting Hilary Makins (NT Wiltshire Countryside Manager), Peter Oliver (NT Wiltshire Landscape Ranger), Sarah Simmonds (WHS Partnership Manager) and Liam Wiseman (WHS Partnership Officer) as well as Police Community Support Officers Melissa Camilleri and Paula Yarranton who were attending instead of PCSO Lucy Stonestreet.
  2. Minutes of the annual Parish meeting held on 28 April 2016. (Draft minutes published on Parish Council web site www.aveburyparishcouncil.org). The Chairman asked if the draft minutes were accurate and it was unanimously agreed that they were. Chairman to sign the minutes.
  3. Matters arising from the minutes: None.
  4. Report on the work of the Parish Council, ASA, ACSReC and other local organisations in the past year:                                                                           The Chairman said APC represented the interests of Avebury residents, employers and employees. The Parish Council normally met 10 times a year but had met 12 times in the past year; there had been two extra meetings to discuss:
    1. the possibility of appealing a recent premises licence decision given to the National Trust
    2. ACSReC issues.

    The Chairman said that APC normally met at the Social Centre but had also met for one meeting each in the Sports and Social Club and the pavilion. APC’s Planning Committee had met twice, once on site at Lower Acre, Bray Street and Beckhampton House stables, and once at The Stables, High Street. APC also attended many meetings such as MAB, CATG, ASSF, ASOPM, NT staff, Social Centre Trustees, WHS Steering Committee, WHS Partnership Panel and WHS Transport Strategy. APC also attended ad hoc events and meetings such as those with Aster Housing, AONB, WC, EH and NT.

    1. Membership and elections: the Chairman reported employers and people working in the Parish could join APC. It was noted Jon Campbell had been co-opted to the Parish Council in May and Terence O’Connor in June 2016.
    2. Transport Group: item deferred to later in the meeting as Moya Brannan not present. (See item 4.f.).
    3. ASA/ACSReC: Lynzey Paradise (Chairman, ACSReC) reported the main focus of the Committee in the past year had been on maintenance of the Sports Field Pavilion including installation of a new mains water supply, new guttering, roof repairs, interior re-fit and refitted storage shed. She reported fundraising efforts such as the film nights had been a great success and all were welcome to take part in the ‘Teas for Tourists’ event that would be taking place in the Social Centre that Sunday. The Committee would be looking to support Apple Day taking place on 8 October. Mrs Paradise explained revenue had been approximately the same as the previous year and there was a desire for a future long-term plan as the Pavilion was over 70 years old. Mrs Paradise said the Orchard Group had planted 120 metres of new hedge-line and had asked her to express huge thanks to all involved and also to Reece and Greg from ACC for mowing the grass in and around the Orchard. It was noted new apple trees had been planted in the Community Shop garden, in the Churchyard and on the Sports Field. Mrs Paradise reported ACC had carried out a massive refurbishment of the Cricket Square and following a recent merger with Cherhill Cricket Club were now running 84 fixtures, 69 of which were on the Sports Field and that ACC were helping with the new ‘All Stars’ cricket club for children. Mrs Paradise reported the Committee were working closely with ASSC to utilise the Social Club which had four new Committee members and a new bar Manager. The following work had been carried out at ASSC in the past year including new entrance gates, work to trees, renovations to the stock and pool table room, reintroduction of draft beers and purchase of a card machine. She also reported ASSC had submitted an application to Sport England to refurbish the building. The Chairman thanked Mrs Paradise for her report and explained that mains water had been installed in the Pavilion, instead of a new nitrite filter to purify water from a private supply that would have cost £1,800. He also expressed many thanks to the NT staff who had done a lot of good work to help with hedge work and chipping and thanked everyone for their combined efforts including Mrs Paradise for chairing ACSReC .
    4. Police: PCSOs Melissa Camilleri and Paula Yarranton reported their focus had been on theft from vehicles particularly in tourist areas and they had spoken to the NT about additional signage otherwise there was nothing of real significance to report. It was noted Avebury was on the patrol route. A member of the public reported there had been issues of burglaries in Bray Street where someone had entered a house and that fuel had been taken from a farm in Avebury Trusloe and that as a result CCTV had been installed. The Police said they relied on residents reporting incidents to them as they were limited due to staff cuts and asked if everyone was on Community Messaging Scheme which was a new way of Neighbourhood Watch via email. To sign up see http://www.wiltsmessaging.co.uk. A member of the public asked if there were any issues the Police would not get involved in and the following list was given: fly tipping, abandoned vehicles, lost / found animals unless they were causing a danger to the public and noise abatement. A member of the public asked how often a resident might see a patrol in Avebury. The Police explained there were five skeletal teams and both PCSOs were on the East Central Team covering Devizes to Hungerford but there were also support officers in Calne and Chippenham that could provide additional help. Jemima Milton requested the Police to ask Officers to drive through the villages and not just stick to the main route as their presence was a deterrent. The Chairman thanked both PCSOs for attending the meeting and they left the room.
    5. Local Initiatives: Community Shop. Michelle Lomas thanked everyone for their continued support for the shop. She reported the fridge freezers had been replaced and the shop redecorated and thanked the NT for providing the building at a very low rent and carrying out its maintenance. Mrs Lomas said one of the shop’s aims was to try to support local producers and gave the example of their honey producers and cake suppliers and that she was open to suggestions. Mrs Lomas stated the shop still needed volunteers and expressed many thanks to those who were able to volunteer.
    6. Transport Group: in the absence of Mike Bedford and Moya Brannan, the Chairman reported:
      1. Members of the Transport Group were Mike Bedford, Dave Brotheridge, Stephen Stacey and himself as APC councillors, together with local residents Kate Fry, Rob Macaire, Angela Norman, Tim Lewis, Moya Brannan and Simon Vatcher.
      2. 30mph sign: on Swindon Road north of Melbourne House was now in place and became operational on 28 October. APC had received feedback from some Rawlins Park residents that cars were going slower and it was noted that it would only take one person to adhere to the new speed limit and the cars behind would have to do the same. Jane Davies reported that since Lockeridge residents had begun to drive at 20 mph in anticipation of the new 20 mph speed limit signs, the village had become a lot calmer.
      3. A4 improvements at West Kennett and Beckhampton: the quotation from Atkins for fees for design work for the major improvement project totalled £18,775 + VAT. CATG was funding 50% of the work (£9,400), APC 25% (£4,700), local people and businesses in West Kennet and Beckhampton meeting the remaining 25% of costs with private funding of £2,350 each. Currently £1,400 more was needed in Beckhampton. The first £1,000 of initial investigatory work was being commissioned by WC. Thanks were expressed to Sarah Simmonds for helping.  Moya Brannan was raising funds for transport projects and had organized a Cyclothon for the 27, 28, 29th May Bank Holiday weekend. The Transport Group had proposed the possible closing or part-closing the Avenue B4003, and was aware that there were many different views in the Parish and in nearby communities. The Transport Group had taken the view there was a need for a structured discussion on the pros and cons for closing or part-closing the Avenue. The plan was to gather facts and evidence and increase dialogue about the proposal within the Avebury community. Depending on results, the Parish could then open discussion with other parishes in a second stage. The AWHS Partnership Panel had met that day and had agreed to provide information and develop / discuss views too.
      4. Parking in Trusloe: the project at the Nursery Site depended on the willingness of Aster, Centurion and Wiltshire Council to progress matters together with APC. Following AHA’s planning consultant’s report, APC had taken the next step, by commissioning a Housing Needs Survey. The survey was conducted last November/December and results expected very shortly. AHA’s planning consultant’s report said in March 2016 that parking would be allowed. Constraints were mature trees and a footpath, and any housing development would be limited to minor infilling housing projects or a few affordable homes. A resident in Avebury Trusloe asked what the next step was and pointed out the original residents’ parking meeting had been nearly four years ago. Jemima Milton explained WC would work out the need for affordable homes and these would be earmarked solely for people in the village. She explained the survey wouldn’t resolve the parking but a housing project could link to the Community Infrastructure Levy that could be used to fund parking. A member of the public reported she had originally been told by WC planners that their home would be the last new build on the Nursery Site in Avebury Trusloe.
      5. Speed of traffic and double yellow lines in Avebury Trusloe was currently being considered by the Transport Group.
      6. The project to replace signs and footpaths was off the ground and involved Tim Lewis, who had done an audit, Steve Leonard, Hilary Makins and Liam Wiseman.
      7. Horse crossing at Beckhampton Stables had yet to be improved.
      8. New WHS boundary signs were now in place.                                    The Chairman invited questions from the public. A member of the public asked if it would be possible to have a better sign at the top of the High Street to stop tourists parking in the High Street. The Chairman said it was not possible to have prohibition signs at present as the road could be legally used by anyone. Lynzey Paradise reported she had received a photograph of a coach parked next to the planters causing an obstruction. Action: Clerk to put request for a sign on next APC meeting agenda and it was additionally agreed a reminder be sent to the Circle Nursery to ask they request parents to park in village car park and to slow down if they came down the High Street. A member of the public stated Avebury Trusloe parking was just as important as High Street parking and, as there were not as many Avebury Trusloe residents present that night, representation was unbalanced. Discussions should not become an either / or situation. A member of the public reported the planters in the road outside her home had reduced parking in the High Street. A member of the public reported cars were frequently turning around at the bottom of the High Street and damage had been caused to parked cars and a question was asked about what had happened to the Avebury Trusloe car parking project. The Chairman explained the car parking project was part of a holistic plan that required four different landowners to work together and it was currently at the housing needs survey stage. A member of the public questioned whether any smaller scale action could be taken in the meantime. She reported at the end of the estate the garage ways were being used as overspill parking and ‘No parking’ lines had been discussed but no action taken. Jemima Milton stated the land swap scheme was a bigger priority. A question was asked if there would be a survey to monitor traffic through Avebury. Action: Clerk to ensure request put on next APC meeting agenda for action by the Transport Group.
    7. Updates:
      1. Wiltshire Council: Jemima Milton reported Jane Davies and Sara Spratt were present at the meeting and that they were both prospective Wiltshire Councillors. She explained that she looked after 12 parish councils and in her view Avebury was the best with a very good community. She expressed her thanks to APC and in particular the Chairman, Andrew Williamson. Jemima Milton explained that with ongoing WC budget constraints the Area Board would become a stronger voice between WC and APC. She said ‘Well Done’ to the Transport Group. The Chairman said Jemima Milton had done a lot of valuable work for the Parish and he recalled that one of her first achievements was extending the pavement at the bus stops at Avebury Trusloe. She said that she had had been in office for eight years and as she had moved away from the area she had decided not to seek re-election as a Wiltshire Councillor. She said one of her most satisfying achievements had been helping an elderly resident move to more suitable accommodation. The Chairman thanked Jemima Milton for her work and invited questions from the public; there were none.
      2. National Trust: Hilary Makins handed out a hard copy regular update (see appendix 1). The Chairman thanked her and invited questions from the public. A member of the public asked when the NT would stop using chippings in the entrance gateway to the SW quadrant as the chippings got everywhere and he had to keep sweeping them up. Hilary Makins reported an application for scheduled monument consent had been submitted and the aim was to have hard standing in place by the end of October. A member of the public asked why the Coach House had not been finished. Hilary Makins said it was not her department but she understood the Coach House was considered to be finished. A member of the public said it would be useful for the NT to give more information in its Newsletters that would be of interest to local people, and less on items of interest to visitors. Jemima Milton questioned why there was a need for a catering van in the main car park when the Coach House Café was now open. Hilary Makins stated the catering van was on a trial / test period that included part of the Easter holidays and it was being provided as an additional experience. A member of the public reported the company web-site for the catering van stated it would be open for 30 days but the NT had disputed that was the case. A question was asked if the NT had considered the needs of other charities based in Avebury who were trying to do business. Hilary Makins said the NT was a charity as well and she would take the feedback back to the NT. The Chairman read out the Emma’s Pantry / catering van circular and reported APC had not gathered views as it had not been informed by NT about the project. He said it was regrettable APC had not been consulted and stressed the importance of two-way communication. A member of the public asked what the NT’s criteria were for the success or failure of such a project. Hilary Makins stated she was not sure but would note there was a degree of concern from the meeting. A member of the public expressed concern about lack of consultation. The Chairman thanked Hilary.
      3. WHS: the Chairman invited Sarah Simmonds to provide an update. She introduced Liam Wiseman and explained he had joined her six months ago and that his role was to help co-ordinate the implementation of the WHS Management Plan. Sarah Simmonds explained that due to restructuring she now covered the whole WHS site including Stonehenge. She said last year there had been a number of events to celebrate the WHS’s 30th birthday including a successful conference in Devizes with a number of speakers on archaeology. British artist, David Inshaw, had also spoken about the importance of art in the WHS. Locally, the Ridgeway National Trail was being developed and WC had agreed to consider implementing a TRO that would cover the whole year, not just in winter, to help minimise damage on the Ridgeway. Sarah Simmonds said the public could contact her for the WHS Research Framework and Liam Wiseman was looking at interpretation across the Site. She said she was helping with the A303 consultation and had worked on the WHS’s response. A copy was available for anyone interested. It was noted a WHS plaque had recently been installed at Stonehenge, and another one had been unveiled in Avebury but not yet installed. It had been funded by the Avebury WHS Charity among others. Sarah Simmonds explained she was looking at the Great West Way and how the WHS related to that project. She added that meetings with farmers had been organised at Stonehenge to look at stewardship of the land as issues such as hare coursing and metal detecting were a concern. Furthermore she was working on (i) a burrowing animal strategy and would be consulting with the farming community (ii) a WHS Setting Study on how to protect the WHS and ensure that development close to the WHS was appropriate. Thanks were expressed to Sarah Simmonds. Members of the public were asked if they had any questions but there were none.
      4. APC Web Site: the Chairman invited Kate Fry to report on her work on the Parish Council web site. She introduced its various features including a calendar with meeting dates, pages with minutes, agendas, a booking form for organisations to book the Sports Field and the new on-line Community Notice Board page.
    8. Planning consultations: the Chairman reported WC planners had consulted the Parish Council on 25 applications since the village meeting 12 months’ ago. The Parish Council had supported 23 of them, some with suggested conditions, and had objected to two, for a replacement house at Lower Acre in Bray Street and for Class A1 Shop/Retail use at The Stables in the High Street.
    9. Local issues and Parish council decisions: 
      1. Defibrillator: Maggie Lewis (Vice-Chairman APC) explained there was currently only one defibrillator in the village but it was in an NT office and not accessible available when the office was closed. She said the Parish Council had therefore looked into the possibility of purchasing a second defibrillator and had decided to lease one as that option covered damage and included training. Thanks were expressed to the Community and Henge Shops and the Parish Council for providing funding. It was noted the location for the defibrillator would be on the front of the Social Centre in the High Street. A member of the public expressed his own thanks to all involved and explained he had helped to introduce defibrillators in the various stations in London. (The Chairman introduced Jon Campbell who had just joined the meeting and was a member of the Parish Council.) A member of the public asked if the defibrillator would be properly fixed to the wall so that it couldn’t be stolen. Mrs Lewis said the defibrillator would be securely fixed but in the event of something happening to it the SW Ambulance Trust would replace it. A member of the public asked if there was a plan to put a defibrillator in Avebury Trusloe. It was noted funding would be needed for that to happen. Action: Clerk to put request on next APC meeting agenda.
      2. A303 consultation: the Chairman reported APC was concerned that Avebury should retain its WHS status and had therefore responded to the consultation by writing to the Secretary of State for Transport, Highways England, UNESCO and others to urge that the scheme be amended to ensure UNESCO’s agreement was obtained.  APC had suggested either a by-pass round the WHS at Stonehenge should be built or the idea of a scheme based on re-using the existing carriageways of the A303 should be developed.
      3. Sewer improvements: the Chairman stated the £1.4 million project by Thames Water was to help improve the pumping of sewage to East Kennett.
      4. Great West Way: it was noted this was a branding project to attract foreign tourists.
      5. Ridgeway TRO: the Chairman reported that APC had added the following sentence to a WHS letter sent in October 2016 to Jane Scott (Leader, WC): ‘…There should be a plan to ensure that displacement of vehicles particularly at this time of year [summer solstice] does not impact on other visitors, residents, farmers and landowners and the wider WHS…’
      6. URC Chapel + Community Right to Bid: the Chairman explained the purpose of a CRtB application was to give community projects six months time to arrange a scheme and that a decision to approve an application was made by WC. He added WC would be making the decision to approve APC’s application the next day and that private bids were also due in by 12 noon that day. APC was not aware of any charities or groups being interested in the URC Chapel, and those present were asked if they were aware of any community interest. In discussion it became apparent that no community group had expressed an interest and the Chairman said the CRtB application would therefore be withdrawn. Action: WC to be advised.
      7. BT Payphone Boxes: it was noted there had been no further information from BT following their consultation and it was also noted the ‘phone box outside the Community Shop was listed. A member of the public reported the Royal Mail post box in the High Street needed repainting. Action: Clerk to email Royal Mail with the request.
      8. National Trails: the Chairman reported National Trails had earmarked Green Street as a ‘strategic link’ and part of the Ridgeway system.
      9. Footpath 22: it was noted despite the resurfacing work being put onto a list of works for WC to action, the work was still outstanding. Members of the public reported the fencing also needed maintenance along the footpath and that some groups had been recently surveying the fencing along by the pumping station / Big Arch Bridge.
    10. National Trust: Representations on issues and planned improvements in dialogue: the Chairman reported:
      1. NT Update had been added as a standing item on APC’s meeting agendas from June 2016. APC was also proposing a joint project to assist the Trust with financing and managing the toilets at the Coach House. It was felt in the community that there was a need to improve dialogue.
      2. Coach House toilets: Stephen Stacey explained that members of the community were keen to see the Coach House toilets open for extended hours and that the Parish Council had been talking with the NT since October about how to extend the opening hours. Both organisations were looking into the feasibility of a commercial arrangement. Mr Stacey stressed that the Parish Council did not have the financial resources to fund extended opening hours but had secured £1,000 grant from MAB to support the servicing of the toilets over two years. Jemima Milton expressed frustration that the issue had gone on for so long and thanked the Parish Council for their continued efforts in trying to find a solution. The Chairman said that pledges for nearly £2,000 more had been given by the Henge Shop, the Community Shop and the Parish Council, together with an offer of a fundraising event at the Red Lion. He also reported the NT toilet facilities had been discussed at a recent WHS Steering Committee meeting. In discussion members of the public asked whether the cleaning of the facility was the stumbling block and whether the toilets should be fee paying. Hilary Makins said that there were issues with insurance and other complications. A further question was asked about why toilet provision in Avebury was not the same as the NT’s open site at Studland Bay which had 24 hour toilet provision. Hilary Makins explained that the NT toilets in the farmyard were considered by the NT to be the main toilets but agreed to provide Mr Stacey with a contact at Studland Bay. Mr Stacey stated that discussions were continuing with the Trust and that he hoped further progresss would be made in due course.
      3. The Stables: A1 Shop/retail use had been granted by WC  The planning consent included the wording ‘…part of the building to which the application relates shall be used as a voluntary book sales/exchange store and visitors’ information centre and for no other purpose (including any other purpose in Class A1 of the Schedule to the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended)…’ 
      4. Removal of sports-field notice-board: a new location would need to be found and a member of the public asked whether the NT’s donation towards its cost had been received. The Clerk would follow this up.
      5. Emma’s Pantry: issues had been raised by the community but the objective of the trial period was not known.
    11. High Speed Broadband and Community WiFi: Jon Campbell reported fibre had been connected to the cabinet in Avebury Trusloe but funding would be needed to extend it to all parts of the surrounding area. The Chairman asked how that might be done and Mr Campbell said that in his experience a mini distribution business case would need to be put together. It was noted grants were available. Thanks were expressed to Mr Campbell and Mrs Lewis for working on high speed broadband and Community WiFi respectively. A member of the public added that ASSC had also installed WiFi and membership of the Club was still only £5 per year.
    12. Civil Emergency Plan: Mrs Lewis stated the plan was work in progress and the aim would be to publish the main document on the APC web site, excluding confidential items.
    13. Flood Group: Mrs Lewis reported the gulley had been cleared in Beckhampton and a new bridge installed.
    14. Arrangements for Summer Solstice 2017: the Chairman said arrangements would be the same as last year and a ‘Permit Only Parking’ system would be operated on all roads in Avebury and Avebury Trusloe. The TTRO would be in place over 19-22 June and APC would provide all residents, employers and employees that needed to park on the highway in those areas with one or more permits.
    15. Local improvements and works: the Chairman reported:
      1. New bridge at Beckhampton: already covered.
      2. Play equipment: new swing seats and timber top beam for the swing unit and a new see-saw skirt and seats had been installed. Dave Brotheridge had kindly painted the see-saw.
      3. Perspex in bus stop: APC had arranged for a replacement panel to be installed in the Swindon Road bus shelter owned by WC.
      4. High Street planter: APC had arranged for a new planter to be purchased from Erlestoke Farm Shop to replace the one damaged by a WC refuse lorry.
      5. Litter pick day had taken place successfully on 28 May 2016.
      6. Lower branches of trees on triangle had been removed by APC volunteers and members of the public.
      7. Various requests for leaf clearance, street cleaning, potholes, street lamps, salt, strimming verges. Some potholes filled in (including the Avenue, Green Street, Church Walk and Footpath 22)
      8. Renewal of sportsfield lease was being negotiated.
    16. Precept, finance and administration: the Chairman reported:
      1. Precept: was £11,000 in 2016/17 and increased to £12,100 in 2017/18. Expenditure budgeted at £19,273, and so using £6,894 of reserves.
      2. Bank balance at 31 March 2017 was £16,262 compared with about £19,234 last year but balance in ASCReC’s accounts of £2,474 at 14 March should be added. However APC’s actual position was more like £7.7k because of £8.6k pledges outstanding as follows:
        1. Traffic projects £3,556
        2. WHS Transport Plan £2k
        3. Play equipment £2k
        4. Trusloe pavement on A4361 £500
        5. Community projects including Avebury Day £500
      3. Press and Media, and Consultation policies adopted
      4. The audited accounts for 2015 – 2016 were available for inspection.
      5. Asset register and risk assessments available and up to date.
      6. Insurance cover: current supplier was the most competitive of three: Premium was locked for the third of three years until June 2017.
      7. Annual accounts and internal audits carried out and scheduled.
      8. Annual inspection of play area by RoSPA and report available.
  5. Local issues from the public: the past year and for the next 12 months: a member of the public asked if it would be possible for APC to purchase some gravel to put on the Nursery Site to help with parking. Action: Clerk to put the suggestion on the next APC meeting agenda.
  6. Local issues from the Parish Council: none
  7. Any other business: none
  8. Thanks: The Chairman thanked all those who supported the Parish Council:
    • Litter pickers and those who cleared up after their dogs especially on the recreation ground, Circle and on footpath paths. Judy Farthing reported the litter bins in the High Street had been a huge success.
    • Trustees, Secretaries and Treasurers of local voluntary organisations and especially ACSReC members.
    • Police, the National Trust, Sarah Simmonds, and Wiltshire Council.
    • the Parish Council’s wider team of Judy Farthing (Civil Emergency Officer), Kate Fry (APC web site), Ron Dobson (advice on buildings), Martin Rendle (small works), John Giles, David Throup (Editor, UKN) and Liz Moore (APC’s Clerk).
    • Jemima Milton (Wiltshire Councillor)
    • Colleagues on the Parish Council.
    • All those attending the meeting.

    Mrs Lewis proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman of the Parish Council. It was noted all existing members of APC wished to stand for re-election as APC councillors in the forthcoming local elections; all had re-applied except Dr Mike Bedford who had missed the deadline but could be co-opted back as a member.

    The meeting closed at 21:29

    Appendices (included in the book of Parish Council papers):

    1. National Trust update                                                                             Documents available for inspection were the APC’s minute book, audit reports, bank statements and books of account. [The accounts were inspected by two members of the public after the meeting].