Minutes of the 11th June 2018 Transport Group Committee
Avebury Parish Council
Held from 7:30pm on Monday 11 June 2018 at the Social Centre, Avebury SN8 1RF.
Present – M R Bedford (Chairman), A Williamson, S Stacey, A Norman, J Turner (W Overton PC traffic), M Brennan, L Bennett-Nutt (Winterbourne Monkton and Berwick Bassett PC)
- Apologies for absence
- Liz Moore, Helen Ramsay and Sarah Nichols
- Declarations of interest
- Acceptance of minutes of 27th March 2018
- Matters arising from the minutes
- Transport Group Exhibitions held in Avebury and Lockeridge
- Red Lion and KVH summaries by Stephen circulated. Community concern about the A4 and commitment to act to improve safety for all road users stood out. In discussion it was noted that there have been near misses, serious injuries, and deaths on this road in recent years. The existing proposal to improve safety at Beckhampton and more so West Kennett (which Wiltshire Highways has advised would require closure the Avenue) was prominent in exchanges between participants of the KVH meeting. Other issues mainly related to Trusloe parking, the A4361 at Trusloe, Green Street and footpaths. A document detailing the issues raised at the Red Lion meeting and the suggested responses and priorities had been produced before the Kennet Valley Hall meeting and it was agreed that it would be right to modify this document if it seemed necessary to do so.
- It was agreed at the outset that, given the outputs of both exhibitions, safety on the A4 should be the priority of this group. The Beckhampton plans have already gone to Atkins for detailed drawings. West Kennett needs to be submitted for the same treatment. Closure of the Avenue, a consequence of improving safety on the A4 at West Kennett, is not yet supported by some residents of Avebury and other parishes on the grounds of inconvenience to them and difficulties for emergency vehicles. We noted that access can be addressed by permitting use by emergency and farm vehicles and it is the view of the Transport Group that improving road safety must take precedence over convenience.
- The KVH meeting clearly identified the significant desire of W Overton to extend the A4 calming suggested in the W Kennett proposals eastwards past the Bell and beyond to North Farm to the WHS boundary. Fyfield and West Overton PC supports the efforts of the Transport Group in this regard and would be keen to take forward the plans of the Sanctuary scheme presented in the WHS Transport Strategy for Avebury and extend them past North Farm. The W Kennett plans should link with the Overton plans such that residents of all parishes make the connection between the benefits of calming of the A4 for all and the consequential closure of the Avenue.
- Further implementation of the WHS plans at Silbury Hill would complete the entire A4 scheme in the WHS Strategy and would facilitate the suggestion of a 50mph WHS wide speed limit to bring some control over traffic speeds and thus safety on the A4361 N towards and past Avebury Trusloe. The Committee welcomed the proposal that the Transport Group should work closely with Berwick Bassett and Winterbourne Monkton Parish Council.
- Actions : The Transport Group recommends that Avebury Parish Council works closely with Fyfield and West Overton PC and Berwick Bassett and Winterbourne Monkton PC and;
- Should push ahead with the West Kennett proposals as presented in the WHS plans. In presenting this recommendation it should be noted that the proposals are tightly linked with the extension of the Sanctuary plans eastwards as indicated in action 2 below.
- The Transport Group and Fyfield and West Overton Parish Council work together to bring forward an extended Sanctuary detailed plan which encompasses the A4 towards and beyond North Farm.
- Following on from 2, the plans for the Silbury hill modifications should be proposed for detailed plans to complete the entire A4 proposal in the WHS plans.
- This would allow for a more coherent approach from all Parish councils from West Overton to Winterbourne Monkton to press Wilts Council for a WHS wide 50mph speed limit.
- Actions: Listed in bold above. Other recommendations as per the output from the previous meeting will stay as listed as there were no significant differences between the Red Lion and KVH exhibitions with regards to prioritisations or topics. Final document encompassing the above actions will be completed and forwarded to APC on agreement of the minutes.M Bedford to circulate minutes and suggest to Jill Turner that a joint meeting with W Overton PC be held to discuss extension of Sanctuary plans to the east for submission to Wilts Council. Transport Group to seek support of W Overton for the plans for W Kennett. We want to maintain the current momentum and so the next transport group meeting is expected to be held in September once APC and Overton have met.
- Any other business
- Date of next meeting