4 Aug 2015 Ordinary Meeting : Minutes

Avebury Parish Council

Minutes of an ordinary meeting of Avebury Parish Council held on 4th August 2015 at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF.

In these minutes APC stands for Avebury Parish Council, ACC for Avebury Cricket Club, AFC for Avebury Football Club, ASA for Avebury Sportsfield Association, AWHS for Avebury World Heritage Site, LGA for Local Government Act, NT for the National Trust, UKN for Upper Kennet News, WC for Wiltshire Council and WHS for World Heritage Site.

Time Start: 20:02

  1. Public question time: There were no members of the public present.
  2. Present: Councillors Andrew Williamson (Chairman), Maggie Lewis (Vice-Chairman), David Brotheridge, Antoinette Kremer and Zandria Service (items 1-12a).In attendance: Miss Liz Moore (Clerk).
  3. Apologies for absence: Councillors Dr Mike Bedford (Vice-Chairman), Mike Daniel, Paul Ryder-Morris and Wiltshire Councillor Mrs Jemima Milton.
  4. Declarations of interest: none declared.
  5. Minutes of meeting held on 7th July 2015: The Chairman read out part of an email he had received from Dominic Fry asking for the word ‘vandalised’ to be removed from minute ref. 10 b. Members decided the minute was correct; it recorded a report that was a matter of fact. Unanimously agreed as an accurate record. Proposed by Mr Brotheridge and seconded by Mrs Lewis.
  6. Matters arising from the minutes:
    1. Dog fouling: (Min ref. 7 a). Deferred to next meeting.
    2. Request for Royal Mail post box outside Rawlins Park: (Min ref. 7 b). No further action. Mr Brotheridge reported it was not possible to get an official post box and the Royal Mail was not responding to the question of a private one.
    3. Bus shelter cleaning on A4361 at Rawlins Park: (Min ref. 7 c). Mr Brotheridge reported that he had noticed no improvement in the cleanliness of the bus shelters. The Clerk said she had contacted Becky Busby at WC to action this after the last meeting. Action: deferred to next meeting.
    4. Defibrillator for Avebury: (Min ref. 7 d). Mrs Lewis reported the NT’s defibrillator was located in the staff area of the Keiller Museum and that Tim Chamberlain (NT Facilities Manager) had suggested getting a second one and siting it outside Hope Cottage.- Members left the table and walked outside to view possible locations for a defibrillator. Members considered the outside walls of the Social Centre or Hope Cottage and thought the best location for a defibrillator would be the latter option.

      Action: Mrs Lewis to re-contact the NT to find out if they could move the current defibrillator to a more accessible position in the village. She would also investigate the cost of buying one.

    5. Parking in Trusloe: (Min ref. 11 d). The Chairman said he had written to WC and they had confirmed they would be contacting Centurion (Western) Ltd as private land owners of part of the Nursery Site to arrange a meeting about a future scheme. In discussion members noted that whilst the weather was fine the grassed areas were easy to park on but this would not be the case in winter. Mr Brotheridge suggested that temporary grills could be used over the grass to help residents park their vehicles.
    6. Review of Solstice: (Min ref. 13). The Chairman reported he had written to the Police and NT to thank them and also emailed Matthew Armstrong the draft copy of last meeting’s minute containing members’ specific observations.
  7. Planning applications and results:
    1. Minutes of APC’s Planning Committee meeting held on 10 July 2015. (See Appendix 1). Members received the minutes and asked for a review of the way APC made decisions at its Planning Committee meetings. Action: Clerk to put item on next meeting’s agenda.
    2. Side and rear kitchen at Rybury House, Beckhampton: Ref: 15/06896/FUL. Plans were tabled and considered. Decision: it was unanimously agreed to support the application. Proposed by Ms Service and seconded by Mrs Lewis.
  8. Renewal of lease for Sportsfield and improvements to Sportsfield gate:The Chairman tabled a spreadsheet he had prepared of ASA income and expenditure over the past four years, dated 4 August 2015 (See Appendix 2). He had added preliminary estimates of basic running costs and income for the next few years. Members noted the assumptions that although income from sports activities might remain much the same in each of the next few years, no income would be received from car boot sales, refreshments and other fund-raising events such as bazaars, rallies and bingo if volunteers did not run them in future. Income had averaged about £4,100pa over the past four years but might be about £1,450pa without these fund raising activities in future.

    Expenditure had averaged about £3,500pa in recent years but some costs (such as insurance, new flooring and other items) might not recur and basic running costs in the next year or two might therefore be lower at about £2,150pa. An annual deficit of about £700pa might therefore be expected. [On top of these figures, APC already paid the annual cost of grass mowing contract and insurance; the total likely annual cost of running the Sportsfield would be about £3,700].

    The Chairman tabled a letter and the proposed ‘heads of agreement’ from the NT (See Appendix 3) and read out in part the current permitted use of the property as per the current lease.

    The Chairman also read out part of an email he had received from Dominic Fry expressing ACC’s keenness to play an active part in the management of the Sportsfield, the need to avoid commercial activities on it and concern about the surface of the Sportsfield by the gate (See Appendix 4).

    Members had a preliminary discussion about the management of the Sportsfield and the new proposed terms of the lease. Members agreed it would be useful to meet ASA for a handover meeting later in the month.

  9. Avebury Sportsfield Association including:
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

    The Chairman altered the order of business and proposed moving directly on to item 9. f. Arrangements for handover. The resolution was carried unanimously.

    …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

    1. Progress on potable water supply for the Pavilion: the Chairman reported the UV filter was now working.
    2. Progress on the initial application to Thames Water for connection to mains supply: Mr Brotheridge reported Thames Water could only install a 25 mm pipe under APC’s current application. This would accommodate up to two showers in the pavilion and a wider diameter pipe would be needed for more showers. Action: Mr Brotheridge was currently in the process of setting up an on-site meeting with Thames Water and it was agreed that the diameter of the proposed main supply would be discussed.
    3. Members to further consider and put forward their ideas on how best to support sports and recreation in the Parish: partly covered during the meeting. The Clerk tabled a letter from Matt Pearson (WC Sports Development Officer – East) sent to St. John’s students to promote sport camps taking place at various locations that summer. (See Appendix 5). Action: A copy of the letter would be circulated to members so they could develop ideas over the next few months.
    4. Consideration of the draft advertisement for UKN asking for residents’ input to help APC deliver more sports and recreation in the Parish. (See Appendix 6). The Chairman said the Clerk had put together a great advert. In discussion members decided the advert should:
      1. Focus only on the Sportsfield
      2. Include a few more ideas for sports e.g. badminton, rounders
      3. Ask the public if they would like to see the continuation of the car boot sales
      4. Ask if anyone would like to help run the Sportsfield

      Action: the Chairman and Clerk to update document and circulate to members.

    5. Request from a member of the public to sell books from the Sportsfield: Members noted this was a decision for ASA.
    6. Arrangements for handover: the Chairman raised some issues:
      1. Which APC members wished to join ASA? Mr Brotheridge said he would like to join and the Chairman recalled that Dr Bedford, Mr Daniel, Ms Kremer and he had previously expressed interest.
      2. Meeting with ASA members to discuss handover and practical issues: to be arranged later in August.
      3. ASA’s bank accounts at Lloyds and Nationwide: some APC members would need to join ASA and become ASA signatories.
      4. Items covered by ASA’s existing insurance policy: APC needed to check that its current insurance would replace ASA’s at no extra cost.
  10. Communications: the Chairman reported the July 2015 Headlines had been submitted to UKN and published on all notice boards. The Clerk said she had published the WC notice of a casual vacancy for a Parish Councillor on all notice boards on 31 July. The Clerk also said an election to fill the vacancy would be held if ten electors from the Parish wrote to the Returning Officer at WC by 20 August 2015 to ask for an election to be held.
  11. Minutes of Transport Group meeting on 11 May 2015 received for the minute book. (See Appendix 7). Proposed by Mrs Lewis, seconded by Mrs Kremer and carried unanimously.
  12. Finance and admin:
    1. Additional sign for Play Area: (Draft sign previously circulated and see Appendix 8). Members resolved that the Clerk instruct StockSigns to make an additional sign for Trusloe Play Area (subject to the red background being changed to royal blue or similar), in accordance with the legal requirement under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957, 1984 and authorized expenditure not exceeding £50.00. Proposed by Mrs Lewis, seconded by Mrs Kremer and carried unanimously.- Ms Service left the meeting.
    2. Cheques for payment: It was unanimously agreed that the following cheque be paid. Proposed by Mr Brotheridge and seconded by Mrs Kremer.
      Liz Moore: Clerk’s overtime and expenses: 22 June – 21 July 2015 £235.60
      Cheques were signed by Mr Williamson and Mrs Lewis.
  13. Date of next meeting: 7:30pm on Tuesday 1st September 2015 at the Social Centre.
    Apologies received from the Chairman.
  14. Any other business:
    1. Mrs Lewis and the Chairman reported there was a large puddle in Green Street near the Eastern edge of the Henge and probably caused by a blocked drainage ditch.
      Action: Mrs Lewis to work with the Clerk so that the issue could be raised with the NT.
    2. The Chairman reported Sarah Simmonds (WHS Officer) had asked APC to endorse the recently published Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites World Heritage Site Management Plan 2015. He also gave copies of a Summary of the Plan to those present and would send copies to those absent. (See Appendix 9 for copy of the Summary received at the meeting).
      Action: Clerk to invite Sarah Simmonds to attend October meeting.
  15. The meeting closed at 22:00

Appendices (included in the book of Parish Council papers):

  1. Minute of APC’s Planning Committee meeting held on 10 July 2015
  2. ASA income and expenditure dated 4 August 2015
  3. Draft Heads of Agreement of lease of Sportsfield from the NT
  4. Email from Dominic Fry dated 4 August 2015
  5. Letter from Matt Pearson (WC Sports Development Officer – East) dated 29 June 2015
  6. Draft advert for UKN asking for residents’ input to help the Council deliver more Sports and Recreation in the Parish
  7. Minutes of Transport Group meeting on 11 May 2015
  8. Draft sign for Trusloe Play Area
  9. Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites World Heritage Site Management Plan Summary 2015.