2 September 2019 Transport Group : Minutes

Avebury Parish Council

Draft: minutes of the Transport Group Committee meeting held 2 September 2019 at the Social Centre, Avebury SN8 1RF.

Present: Helen Ramsay, Ben Butler, Mike Bedford, Stephen Stacey, Mike Daniel.

  1. Welcome and introductions
  2. Apologies for absence: Lynne Bennett Nutt
  3. Declarations of interest: None
  4. Acceptance of minutes of 7th February 2019 and meeting notes from the 14th June 2019: Accepted
  5. Matters arising from the minutes
  6. Project progress reports from Atkins and S Hind on A4 road safety enhancement schemes at Beckhampton and West Kennett.
    1. Review and relevance of W Kennett accident in light of priorities in W Kennett scheme
    2. Atkins plans for W Kennett discussed first. Discussion on the need to close the Avenue noted that virtually no changes to the A4 could take place otherwise. Agreed that the plans achieve what we wanted. Noted that the gated access needs to highlight access not only for pedestrians and cyclists but also for emergency vehicles and farm traffic. MB to relay to Stephen Hind. Cost estimate was £330k for traffic management, design fees and risk.
    3. Beckhampton – well received, only question is why there is a two lane exit from the western approach of the A4 to the roundabout. Cost estimate was £150k for traffic management, design fees and risk. MB to ask Stephen Hind.
    4. Transport committee recommends to the Parish Council the plans are accepted as presented with amendments to W Kennett as noted above.
  7. Footpath from Avebury on A4361 to and beyond Dorwyn Manor
    1. M Daniel looking for support and advice to put in a footpath as per above as currently the only option is to walk on the A4361 itself. 219 signatures have been received to date to support this request. Bid ot be seen as first stage of a right of way between Winterbourne Monkton and Avebury. A footpath could be constructed along the left hand side of the A4361 going North as there is land to this side. Agreed that this proposal should be brought to the APC meeting on 3rd September for approval (with the support of this committee) and establish a working group to move it towards design stage. Looking for calming at the same time including double white lines along this stretch. Suggested we separate the issues of the footpath and speeding issues. Atkins’ surveys as to where to check vehicle speeds were completed in August, Stephen Hind will make a proposal to CATG on 19 September which, if accepted, might allow the work to be undertaken before the end of the year.
  8. Speed surveys on A4361 and A4
    1. S Stacey will find out more on CATG on the 19th September for the A4361. The whole of the A4361 from Beckhampton to Swindon will be surveyed for volumes and speed. No update on the A4. Manton have done some traffic counts and noted very high traffic volumes.
  9. Any other business
    1. Update on resurfacing of footpath 22 – Martin Cook contacted as no sign of activity over the summer. He meets Atkins next week and will feedback.
  10. Date of next meeting – will be decided once the footpath group “item 7a” is established.

Adjourned 20.35