6 Mar 2012 Ordinary Meeting : Minutes

Minutes of a meeting of Avebury Parish Council held on the 6th March 2012 at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF.  

In these minutes, APC stands for Avebury Parish Council, ASA for Avebury Sportsfield Association, ASSF for Avebury Sacred Sites Forum, FWOPC for Fyfield and West Overton Parish Council, MAB for Marlborough Area Board, MAPF for Marlborough Area Parish Forum, NT for the National Trust, UKN for Upper Kennet News, WALC for Wiltshire Association of Local Councils and WC for Wiltshire Council.

Time Start: 19:30

  1. Public question time: Three members of the public present. No questions asked.
  2. Present:  Councillors Mr Andrew Williamson (Chairman), Dr Mike Bedford (Vice-Chairman), Mr Paul Dixon, Mrs Antoinette Dyson, Mr Keith Howell, Mrs Beryl Greenaway, Mrs Karyn Pearson and Mrs Maggie Lewis.
  3. Apologies: Mr Mike Daniel
  4. Declarations of interest: None
  5. Minutes of meeting held on 7 February 2012: The Chairman tabled a copy of the minutes that had been slightly revised to refer to Mrs Pearson as present at the meeting, two appendices attached to the minutes and Mrs Pearson’s offer to volunteer under minute 14g Tabled version was accepted as an accurate account of the meeting. Proposed by Mrs Greenaway, seconded by Mrs Pearson.
  6. Matters arising from the minutes:
    1. Works to Trusloe play area: Len Adams has been repairing fencing around the play area and had noted that footballs are damaging the chain link fence. Action: Chair to ask Mr Adams what he would propose to protect the fence (minute 6a).
    2. Mud on road in Green Street: Still not cleared. Lorries at Skokholm were parking on the verge and churning it up quite badly. Action:  KeithHowell to keep an eye on the situation and convey concerns to site foreman (minute 14e).
    3. Liz Moore (Clerk) had extended her thanks for the gift of flowers from members of APC on the arrival of her baby.
  7. Planning applications:
    1. Equestrian trotting ring at Beckhampton Stables: E/2012/0164/FUL:  An application for a trotting ring in the field between the A4 (Calne) and A4361 (Devizes) was discussed and it was agreed that the application be supported.  Proposed by Mrs Lewis and seconded by Mr Howell.
    2. Access to Galteemore Farm opposite Silbury hill car park: E/2012/0238/FUL: This road would be solid underneath but grassy on top. There would be two gates, one five metres from the A4 and one 15 metres from the A4 allowing trucks to enter/leave without stopping on the A4.  Action:APC’s Planning Sub Committee to fix a date to view the site and decide response.
  8. Transport Group: 
    1. The Group’s public meeting had been held on 5 March.  It had been very well attended with 43 members of the public at peak and seven councillors.  It had sparked lively discussion. Mike Bedford gave a brief overview of the two main focal points of the meeting which were road safety and access onto Avebury High Street.  APC aimed to discuss these issues with traffic consultant Ben Hamilton-Baille on possible solutions. Some money should be available from MAB to aid in this process. Action: Mike Bedford to circulate minutes from this meeting shortly to APC and members of the Transport Group.
    2. Sarah Simmonds (WHS Officer) keen to ensure that the Parish, Wiltshire Council and others keep making positive progress on traffic issues.  Action:Chair to chase up.
    3. Need to consider next steps and collection of email addresses to keep momentum up. Consider capturing data on accidents in the Parish for next meeting.  Action: Keith Howell to contact police.
    4. Terms of reference of the Transport Group had been updated to remove limit of 12 members of the public and were tabled (see Appendix 1)  It was agreed they be adopted; proposed by Antoinette Dyson, seconded Mrs Pearson.  Action: Chair to forward updated terms of reference to all.
  9. Visitor numbers: Numbers of visitors were up following the opening of the Manor and the car park had been mostly full at weekends or half term which was unusual for February.  Members were concerned at the possibility of a considerable increase in footfall in Avebury.  Action: Chair to discuss situation with the National Trust.
  10. Local Action: Jubilee arrangements: A group led by Janet Polack and Jan Williamson was working on Jubilee arrangements and many activities were being planned.  Jeremy Sumbler had offered to erect a marquee on the Sports Field at a discount.  Donations for the event had been pledged by the Community Shop and the Henge Shop and an application had been made to MAB.  The National Trust had offered to provide Jubilee materials including bunting etc.
  11. Communications: The Headlines of APC’s February meeting had been put in UKN.  A flyer on Jubilee arrangements and the Transport Group’s public meeting had been put through the letterboxes of every household in the Parish.
  12. Chairman’s actions and information:
    1. Solstice:  the Avebury Solstice Operational Planning Meeting had been concerned that last year’s solstice had been sullied by drugs and their consequences.  Inspector Peach had said that there would be the same police presence on the ground as last year and, apropos drugs, the Police would have one or more dogs present this solstice.  Other items noted: West Kennett layby was not closed off last year, Nash Road needs to be policed to prevent access to Avebury Trusloe, a continuation of policing towards the end of solstice was necessary at the main entrance to Trusloe and a police presence at Rawlins Park was important.
    2. Great Stones Way. The Chair reported that consultants Graham Bathe and Associates wished to consult APC as part of an environmental impact study on the GSW proposal.  The initial plan had quoted visitor numbers along the route of 250,000 – 400,000 a year.  The proposed start point was now at Barbury Castle and headed along the Ridgeway to Sanctuary, rather than starting from Avebury (see maps appendices 2-4).  The Chair had requested more information from Friends of the Ridgeway on visitor numbers at Avebury, their marketing policy, the physical work to the route and maintenance liabilities. Action: the Chair to circulate members again with the paper APC had sent Friends of the Ridgeway last September and APC to decide on its response at its next meeting in April.
    3. Fence along Hunters Walk: NT are open to considering whether it should be removed or not. It was agreed that APC take this to the village meeting in April.
  13. Correspondence:
    1. Kathy Downs had emailed Ian Rendle asking for postcards of Avebury.  It was suggested that Kathy put an advert in the parish magazine and contact the Gazette and Herald.
    2. Freedom to pray at council meetings. Mr Pickles had written a letter allowing prayers at the beginning of council meetings.
    3. Mike Polack had emailed to say the next Rural Arts Wiltshire show would be ‘Me, Myself and Miss Gibbs’ on Thursday 24th March and that tickets would be available in the Community Shop.
    4. Wiltshire Council had emailed to say they were doing their regular review of the use of the mobile library service. If there were three or fewer customers per stop over a 12 month period then the service would be withdrawn.  Members did not know how close the Parish was to the borderline.  Action:  Chair to contact WC to find out numbers that had used the service.
  14. Local affairs: an updated plan of the permissive open access at Long Stones was tabled.
  15. Finance and admin:  It was agreed that cheques be drawn to settle the following invoices; proposed by Keith Howell and seconded by Mike Bedford:
    1. Pavilion insurance: Ron Dobson had written to advise on the value of the pavilion for insurance purposes.  A copy of his letter was tabled (see appendix 5).  Members noted that Ron Dobson was an architect rather than a quantity surveyor and that he had given ‘rule of thumb’ advice.  Members were grateful to him for helping APC free of charge.  Mr Dobson had recommended that the pavilion’s insurance value [£94,554] be updated to £166,522.  The Chair reported that Community First had advised as APC’s insurer’s agents that this would result in an increase in APC’s premium from £955.84 to £1,134.86 for the 12 months beginning on 1 June 2012.  Increased insurance cover had been temporarily put on from 20 February for the remainder of this year’s contract at a cost of £102.82.  The insurance company was reducing its premiums from 1 June 2012 which explained why this figure was higher pro rata.  It was agreed the pavilion be insured for £166,522 and that £102.82 be paid to Community First.
    2. Len Adams had submitted an invoice for £126.92 for labour and materials for work to the basketball post and chain link fence in the play area.
    3. Andrew Williamson had invoiced for £83.00 being bills incurred at the Stationery Cupboard for photocopying three newsletters/flyers.
  16. Revised date for Village Meeting: 24th April at 7pm in Avebury Social Centre
  17. Date of next meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012: Sarah Simmonds, WHS Officer, to attend and present on arrangements for updating WHS Management Plan.
  18. Any other business
    1. Complaint about stickers being put on cars parked on the road in Avebury Trusloe. To be addressed at the Transport Group.
    2. CCTV cameras on lampposts at Beckhampton; still no feedback on the role of these cameras. Chair to talk with Tim Davies to find out what they are for.

Meeting adjourned at 20:55

Appendices (included in book of Parish Council papers):

    • Terms of reference for Transport Group dated 4 March 2012
    • Three maps of Great Stones Way proposal
    • Letter on pavilion insurance value from Ron Dobson dated 14 February 2012