8 Sep 2015 Ordinary Meeting : Minutes

Avebury Parish Council

Minutes of an ordinary meeting of Avebury Parish Council held on 8th September 2015 at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF.

In these minutes APC stands for Avebury Parish Council, ACC for Avebury Cricket Club, AYFC for Avebury Youth Football Club, ASA for Avebury Sportsfield Association, AWHS for Avebury World Heritage Site, LGA for Local Government Act, NT for the National Trust, UKN for Upper Kennet News, URC for United Reform Church, WC for Wiltshire Council and WHS for World Heritage Site.

Time Start: 19:34

  1. Public question time: There were no members of the public present except later when one member of the public was present from item 9 onwards.
  2. Present: Councillors Maggie Lewis (Vice-Chairman), David Brotheridge, Paul Ryder-Morris (items 1 to 14) and Zandria Service (item 10 onwards).
    In attendance: Miss Liz Moore (Clerk).
  3. Apologies for absence: Councillors Andrew Williamson (Chairman), Dr Mike Bedford (Vice-Chairman), Mike Daniel, Antoinette Kremer and Wiltshire Councillor Mrs Jemima Milton.
  4. Declarations of interest: none declared.
  5. Minutes of meeting held on 24th August 2015: Unanimously agreed as an accurate record. Proposed by Mr Paul Ryder-Morris and seconded by Mr Brotheridge.
  6. Matters arising from the minutes:
    1. Dog fouling: (Min ref. 6 a). Deferred to next meeting.
    2. Bus shelter cleaning on A4361 at Rawlins Park: (Min ref. 6 b). Mr Brotheridge reported the work had still not been done. The Clerk said any delay in work being done was probably due to cross over with the new Parish Steward starting.
    3. Defibrillator for Avebury: (Min ref. 6 c). No further progress. Mrs Lewis to follow up with the NT.
  7. Membership: Mrs Lewis reported:
    1. WC had not received a request for an election by TEN electors and APC could now co-opt a new member.
    2. An email had been received Lyndzey Paradise of the High Street expressing an interest in becoming a Councillor and members felt she would be a very good candidate. Members also noted past interest from several other residents.
    3. Members to consider which groups were under-represented: members agreed it would be good to try to find someone from Trusloe to balance representation across the village. Action: Clerk to put advert in UKN.
    4. Dave Brotheridge had requested that members should decide what tree to plant to commemorate Paul Dixon as no further progress had been made to date. It was unanimously agreed that an oak tree would be appropriate and that Mr Brotheridge would look into the cost of buying a young tree to be paid for by members personally.
  8. Planning applications and results: the Chairman reported
    1. Conversion of managers flat within the Avebury Manor House to an office: 15/06378/FUL. Approved by WC with conditions.
    2. Conversion of an existing barn to provide rural workers dwelling at Beckhampton: 15/02537/FUL. Approved by WC with conditions.
  9. Review of decision making process at Planning Committee Meetings: deferred to next meeting when more members would be present.
  10. Future use of United Reform Chapel at Green Street:
    1. Finalization of the views given by APC members and the Community at 24 August meeting: Mrs Lewis read out an email received from Sarah Simmonds (WHS Officer) describing the aspirations and related policy as set out in the Management Plan [See Appendix 1]. The Chairman reported there had been no further representations received from the public since that meeting and members concluded that the general consensus was that everyone would prefer the chapel to remain a Community space.
    2. Members to decide who will attend URC meeting with Synod on 10 September at St. James: Mrs Lewis and Ms Service volunteered to represent APC at the meeting.
    3. Members to consider registering the Chapel under the Community Right to Bid Scheme: Mrs Lewis tabled a document that had been received from Reverend Ruth Whitehead (Moderator South Western Synod) that would be circulated to the public at the meeting on 10 September 2015 [See appendix 2]. In discussion members noted it was clear the Synod Trust intended to sell the Chapel. It was unanimously agreed APC should register the URC Chapel under the WC Community Right to Bid Scheme. Proposed by Ms Service and seconded by Mr Brotheridge. Action: Clerk to prepare and submit nomination form to WC.
  11. Renewal of lease for Sports Field: deferred to next meeting when more members would be present.
  12. Avebury Sportsfield Association including:
    1. Handover meeting with ASA on 18 August. The Chairman reported various actions had arisen following the meeting including:
      1. Fire check was due in November (4 November) and members would need to ensure the building met the required fire safety standards.
      2. The Clerk reported APC’s existing insurance met the requirements for the Pavilion and Sports Field.
      3. Mr Brotheridge said he would like to volunteer to be the booking secretary. Members accepted his offer.

      The Chairman invited Mr Fry to speak.
      Mr Fry stated that the Sports Field should have three uses (a) car boot sales (b) cricket (c) football. Mr Fry added that ACC provided its fixture list in February.
      Ms Service asked if it was possible for the Sports Field to be used for anything else whilst it was being used for sport. Mr Fry confirmed it would be possible as only about a third of the field was being used when a Cricket match took place.
      The Clerk tabled a hard copy letter received 3 September from AYFC and ACC confirming both clubs interest in being part of the management of both the Sports Field and the Pavilion. In brief the Clubs set out their interest and credentials covering the following points: care and attention, access to resources, ability to communicate effectively and ability to play a meaningful role in raising funds. [See appendix 3].
      The Chairman asked Mr Fry if a date had been set for Avebury Day. Mr Fry reported a date had been set for 10 September 2016.

    2. Managing the Sports Field: extra meeting to be set up before 30 September. Members provisionally booked 21 September 2015.
    3. Connecting the Pavilion to mains water supply: APC had received a quotation of £930.66 from Thames Water for the connection charge (previously circulated to members). Mr Brotheridge reported APC would now need to ascertain (i) the costs of plumbing work required inside the building (ii) contractor costs for the ground works. Mr Brotheridge said a moledigger was not allowed and the pipe must be put into an open trench in the ground. Action: it was unanimously agreed that Mr Brotheridge research additional costs and potential contractors.
      The Chairman invited Mr Fry to speak. Mr Fry said if it would be useful he would put together a list of contractors ACC had used in the past for all types of work to the Sports Field and Pavilion. Members accepted his offer and thanked him.
  13. Local Issues including: the Chairman reported
    1. Puddle in road in Green Street: Hilary Makins (Head Ranger NT) had advised the Clerk that the ditch in Green Street was not an official ditch and no digging whatsoever must be undertaken.
    2. Potholes in Green Street: the Clerk had arranged an on-site meeting with WC Highways to assess the road in Green Street at 12pm on Friday 11 September 2015. The Farthings had agreed with the Clerk to clear any mud on the road by Friday that week to enable WC to carry out an assessment, the inspection needed to be done that week whilst the weather was fair. Mrs Lewis and Mr Brotheridge volunteered to attend the meeting.
      Mr Ryder-Morris reported the verges in West Kennett were overgrown and causing a problem for school children trying to catch the bus. Action: Clerk to log issue on WC online reporting portal.
    3. Litter in the village: a member of the public had written to inform APC they had recently seen a lot of litter (beer cans) in the undergrowth near big arch (second bridge when walking to Trusloe from Avebury). Action: APC to put request in UKN headlines asking people to preserve the tidiness of the village.
    4. Main NT car park sign: the sign was obscured by vegetation when travelling east into Avebury. WC would be cutting back the trees in September.
  14. Communications: the Chairman reported the Sports and Recreation Advert had been published in the September edition of UKN. [See appendix 4]. Responses had been received from two residents offering ideas and assistance. Notice of Conclusion of Audit was published on the Community Shop notice board on 7 August 2015.
  15. Correspondence: (received by email unless otherwise stated). The Chairman reported:
    1. Letter from Claire Perry MP to invite members to a tour of the Houses of Parliament on Monday 16 November (up to 2 people per organisation).
    2. Letter from WC dated 19 August 2015 acknowledging APC’s letter to Councillor Whitehead who was at that time on annual leave.
    3. Community First AGM – Wednesday 7 October.
    4. Rural Policing Matters – Campaign.
    5. Various local events posters received and published on APC web site.
    6. Report from Moya Brannon (resident Swindon Road) regarding a near fatal collision on A4361 at 0616 on 3 September 2015. Action: evidence to be forwarded to WC by Transport Group.
  16. Finance and admin: the Clerk reported
    1. Grant Thornton had completed the review of the annual return and a clean audit report had been given. [See appendix 5. Section 3, external auditor certificate and report 2014/15].
    2. Members to resolve to add new cheque signatories to the bank accounts held by ASA: paperwork not received, deferred to next meeting.
    3. Letter from the Pensions Regulator: Letter to be passed to Dr Bedford.
    4. Cheques for payment: It was unanimously agreed that the following cheques be paid. Proposed by Ms Service and seconded by Mr Brotheridge.
      1. Grant Thornton: external audit of the 2015 Annual Return £120.00
      2. Stocksigns: additional sign for Trusloe Play Area £44.66
      3. ACC: grass cutting services April 2015 – 30 Sept 2015 £850.00
      4. Liz Moore: Clerk’s overtime and expenses: 22 July – 21 August 2015 £236.60
        Cheques were signed by Mrs Lewis and the next day by Dr Bedford.
  17. Date of next meeting: 7:30pm on Tuesday 6th October 2015 at the Social Centre. Apologies received from Mrs Lewis.
  18. Any other business:
    1. At Mrs Lewis’ suggestion, members to consider sending Maureen Dixon a good wishes card or similar at October meeting.
  19. The meeting closed at 20:50

Appendices (included in the book of Parish Council papers):

  1. Email from Sarah Simmonds (WHS Officer) listing the relevant aspirations set out in the AWHS Management Plan.
  2. Statement from Reverend Ruth Whitehead (Moderator South Western Synod).
  3. Letter dated 1 September 2015 from AYFC and ACC.
  4. Sports and Recreation Advert published in the September edition of UKN.
  5. Section 3, external auditor certificate and report 2014/15. Not seen by the meeting but added subsequently.