Avebury Parish Council
Minutes of an ordinary meeting of Avebury Parish Council held on 7th April 2015 at the Social Centre, High Street, Avebury SN8 1RF.
In these minutes ACC stands for Avebury Cricket Club, APC for Avebury Parish Council, ASA for Avebury Sports Field Association, AWHS for Avebury World Heritage Site, CATG for Community Area Transport Group, LGA for Local Government Act, MAB for Marlborough Area Board, NT for the National Trust, SSE for Scottish and Southern Energy, UKN for Upper Kennet News, WALC for Wiltshire Association of Local Councils, WC for Wiltshire Council and WHS for World Heritage Site.
Time Start: 19:30
- Public question time: There were five members of the public present for all or part of the meeting. Mr Fry asked if he could present information on his proposal for a new boundary wall at Bridge House. Mr Fry tabled four papers detailing the design. (See Appendix 1). Mr Fry said he had withdrawn the planning application he had made last year, he had taken on board APC’s original comments and was preparing to submit a fresh application to WC. Mr Fry stated he had attempted to reduce the height of the wall (1.8 metres) and that it would be built using flint and sarsen stone panels. Mr Fry also said the height of the existing dying Leylandii hedge was 3.6 metres. Members were sympathetic to the new design. The presiding Chairman, Mrs Lewis, thanked Mr Fry for his representation and said members would await the formal planning application.
- Present: Councillors Maggie Lewis (Vice-Chairman), Dr Mike Bedford (Vice-Chairman) item 15b onwards, David Brotheridge, Mike Daniel, Keith Howell and Antoinette Kremer
In attendance: Miss Liz Moore (Clerk).
- Apologies for absence: Councillors Paul Ryder-Morris, Zandria Service, Andrew Williamson (Chairman) and Wiltshire Councillor Mrs Jemima Milton.
- Declarations of interest: None declared.
- Minutes of meeting held on 3rd March 2015: Unanimously agreed as an accurate record. Proposed by Mr Howell and seconded by Mrs Kremer.
- Matters arising from the minutes:
- Repairs to Beckhampton bus shelters: (Min ref. 13 a). Mrs Lewis reported the repairs had been completed by Peter Swatton and in addition to the agreed works there had been two new joists needed in the roof (on the right hand side). The Clerk confirmed that Ron Dobson (the architect who had written the brief specification) had looked at the workmanship and approved it. Mrs Lewis reported that a light would not be fitted in the WC owned shelter at Beckhampton due to austerity cuts at WC and that the last bus service was around 8pm.
- Faulty street light (lamp 8) outside Trusloe Cottages: (Min ref. 13.d). The Clerk reported WC was still working on resolving the fault and that the lamp was working intermittently. Clerk to raise issue again with WC.
- Ivy on trees to the east of Trusloe Play Park: (Min ref. 13e). The Clerk reported she had logged the request with WC and that it was now with the Countryside Team to be actioned. The Clerk said she had received no further update from WC. Mr Brotheridge said he believed ivy did not harm trees and in fact had many benefits to wildlife. Action: due to length of time it was taking to be resolved, members agreed the original request to be raised by Councillors with Becky Busby (WC Highways) at site visit on 17 April.
- The RidgeWalk 20-21st June 2015: (Min ref. 20a.). The Clerk said the event would not clash with Solstice as it finished at Barbury Castle.
- Membership: Mrs Lewis welcomed Mr Brotheridge to the Parish Council. Members voted unanimously in favour of co-opting Mr Brotheridge to the office of member of APC. Proposed by Mr Daniel and seconded by Mr Howell. Prior to the meeting Mr Brotheridge had signed a declaration of acceptance of office and had also been given the other legally required documents.
- Planning applications and results:
- Full planning for single storey extensions at Wansdyke Lodge, Beckhampton, Marlborough SN8 1QJ. Ref: 15/02571/FUL. Plans were tabled and considered. In discussion members noted the proposed extensions would be single storey and would not be visible from the road as there was a high hedge in place. It was unanimously agreed to support the application. Proposed by Mrs Kremer and seconded by Mr Howell.
- (i) Full planning for conversion of existing barn to provide rural workers dwelling at Galteemore Farm, Beckhampton SN8 1QJ. Ref: 15/02537/FUL.
(ii) Full planning for erection of an extension to the rear of the property at Galteemore Farm, Beckhampton SN8 1QJ. Ref: 15/02648/FUL.
(iii) Listed building consent for internal alterations and extensions to the rear of the property at Galteemore Farm, Beckampton SN8 1QJ. Ref: 15/02649/LBC. Plans were tabled and considered. Mrs Lewis invited Mr David Hues to the table to answer members’ questions. Mr Hues explained that the conversion of the cattle barn was for a two storey house that would be in an L shape, using the same footprint as the barn. There would be no windows on the northern side which meant the design would not encroach on any neighbours and the pitch of the roof would remain the same. In discussion members felt the work would improve the area however in order to better visualize the proposed works in relation the environment it was decided to book a site visit. Mr Hues confirmed both he and his architect would be present to answer further questions. Action: It was unanimously agreed to refer any decision to APC’s Planning Committee and a site visit was booked for Thursday 16 April at 6:30pm. Proposed by Mr Brotheridge and seconded by Mr Daniel.
- Results: change of use from a dwelling to a Bed and Breakfast at Dorwyn, Swindon Road, Avebury 14/07561/FUL. Approved by WC with conditions. Mr Daniel reported the conditions included (i) work must begin before the expiration of three years from the date of the permission (ii) no external lighting (existing or additional) should be installed or operated on the site unless plans submitted to and approved in writing by the local planning authority (iii) details of the bed and breakfast use including number of bedrooms to be let, map of parking and so forth to be submitted to and approved by the local planning authority.
- Mrs Lewis requested the following motion be added to the order paper for the meeting. Members approved adding the emergency resolution to the agenda. Proposed by Mrs Kremer and seconded by Mr Daniel.
Martin Cook (WC Highways) had requested APC contact the landowner regarding trees overhanging A4 at Beckhampton. (Email previously circulated to members). Mrs Lewis reported that highway signage situated before the Waggon & Horses PH was obscured by tree branches. Mrs Lewis asked Mr David Hues if he could cut back his tree branches. Mr Hues agreed to do the work as soon as practical.
- Transport Issues: Mrs Lewis reported:
- Review of public meeting about the WHS Transport Strategy on 19 March. (Notes from the meeting previously circulated to members). Members formally received the notes, see appendix 2. In discussion members noted the main requirement was for lower speed limits within the Parish. Mrs Kremer reminded everyone to note any evidence that might be used by the Transport Group to prioritise projects. Action: the Clerk confirmed the Transport Group public meeting was booked for 7pm, 17 April at the Social Centre. [Mr Brotheridge gave his apologies].
- Parking in Trusloe: Mrs Lewis reported she had met with Mr Peter Swatton prior to the meeting and noted there was an extreme case of five cars to one household in Trusloe. Mrs Lewis asked Mr Swatton to report. Mr Swatton said a path near to the garages was redundant and residents simply parked over the path and therefore the path took up valuable parking. Mrs Lewis also said she had noted cars were parking on bends and this was dangerous. Action: update to be passed to Transport Group.
- Stables’ crossing and signage at Beckhampton racehorse crossing: Mr Howell stated white race horse railings had been implemented.
- Replacement of tarmac at the end of Green Street: no update, deferred to next meeting.
- Footpath 22: clarification on which budget would be used by WC for the repairs. Dr Bedford not present, matter deferred to later on in the meeting under 15f.
- Local issues, including:
- BT Telephone issues: the Clerk reported that some residents in Green Street had recently been affected by a telephone service outage. The Clerk had been in contact with Sarah Simmonds (WHS Officer) to see if she could help with the licence so that BT could do the necessary repair work / digging. The Clerk said Sarah Simmonds had already been to visit one of the residents, EH were responsible for issuing the licence and that everything had been done to fast track the process.
- Community Wi-Fi: Mrs Lewis had been tasked with finding out if it were feasible for the Social Centre in the High Street to be covered by a wifi router in the old school building. Mrs Lewis reported she had not heard back from the Circle Nursery therefore she would telephone them and report back at the next meeting.
- Progress on High Speed Broadband: nothing further to report.
- Great Stones Way: Mrs Lewis reported that the Chairman had attended a meeting hosted by Pewsey Community Area Partnership on 23 March about the Great Stones Way. The Clerk tabled APC’s original response that was against payment of a LEADER grant for the GSW project. (See appendix 1 of the 4th September 2012 minutes). In discussion members agreed that as the majority of villages were not in favour of the walk they would wait for the other villages to respond. No further action.
- Avebury Rocks 2015: Mrs Lewis stated AR had decided to have the concert on 22 August that year and on a site provided by Marlborough College. Mrs Lewis asked Mr Fry to contribute further information. Mr Fry said AR would be coming back to Avebury next year and had only moved to the Marlborough College site temporarily so that the event would not clash with a Pagan festival. Mrs Kremer said there were eight Pagan festivals with camping each year.
- Grant and Support Opportunities: the Clerk reported:
- MAB: met every two months and match funding was available up to £5,000.00.
[The Area Board will only consider applications from town and parish councils where the project cannot reasonably be expected to be funded from their precept].
- Aster Communities Funding: (email previously circulated to members). The Clerk asked members to think about any events or community projects that Aster could fund or part fund. Members had already put forward Avebury Day and parking in Trusloe as two possible projects.
- Develop: various Wiltshire Community Foundation Grants were available (email previously circulated to members).
- Repair & Renewal Grant: Mrs Lewis said this was for householders that had been flooded last Winter. The closing deadline for work to be completed and applications in for this grant had been extended to 29 May 2015.
- SSE Communities fund / grant: (email previously circulated to members).https://www.ssepd.co.uk/ApplynowCSEngland/
- MAB: met every two months and match funding was available up to £5,000.00.
- Communications: Mrs Lewis reported the March 2015 ‘Headlines’ had been submitted to UKN and published on all notice boards, notice of the Annual Village Meeting on 21st April had been submitted to UKN. The Clerk said the agenda would be published this week [at least seven days prior to the meeting].
- Correspondence: received by email unless otherwise indicated. Mrs Lewis and the Clerk reported:
- Letter from CPRE: invitation to enter the Best Kept Wiltshire Village Competition. (Email invitation previously circulated to members). The Clerk tabled the information and reminded members that entry was free of charge. In discussion, members agreed that Avebury already had a large number of visitors and that it was in Avebury’s interests to pursue a policy of ‘non-promotion’ of visitor numbers. Members voted against entering Avebury for the competition. Proposed by Mr Daniel and seconded by Mrs Kremer.
- Letter from BT Payphones Planning Office: the Clerk tabled information on how to adopt a telephone kiosk.
- draft Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document (SPD), a draft Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Regulation 123 List and a CIL policies consultation document. Together, when finalised, they will support the introduction of the Wiltshire CIL Draft Charging Schedule and set out how the council will seek infrastructure contributions from development. (Comments are invited on these documents over a four week and two day period until 5pm, 22 April 2015). Comments to be made online via the council’s consultation portal: http://consult.wiltshire.gov.uk/portal
- Friends of Savernake Hospital and the Community AGM 7pm for 7:30pm start on Wednesday 13 May, Town Hall Marlborough. Contact the Administrator to book on T. 01672 288167.
- MDNIA Open Farm Sunday Event 7th June 11-4pm at Overtown Farm, Wroughton. Free of charge.
- Calne Culture and Tourism Steering Group: request for invitation to speak at a Council meeting. Mrs Lewis said the Chairman was finding out more information about the Group and that they basically wanted to promote tourism on the back of Calne’s history of bacon curing at the Harris factory. Action: deferred to next meeting.
- National Plant Monitoring Scheme – see APC web site
- Free events listing at localuncovered.com.
- WC Tick Awareness Campaign – see APC web site
- Finance and admin: Mrs Lewis reported:
- Correction to February 2015 minutes: Minute ref. 13. cii. Mr and Mrs Fry and not ACC would be personally funding the works to west boundary of the Sports Field. Minute ref. 19. a. There had been no such decision to replace a snooker table at the Social Club. The Clerk said she had been misinformed and the statement was erroneous and not based on fact.
- Review of Terms of Reference for Transport Group: (tabled and previously circulated to members, document dated 25 March 2015). In discussion, members agreed the group had originally been intended to be part of the Parish Council and that it should be set up as a Committee. Action: members asked the Clerk to update the document to include the word Committee in the title and to ensure that no one member was responsible for decision making. Document to be referred to Transport Group meeting on 17 April for further review by members of that group. Proposed by Mr Howell and seconded by Mr Brotheridge.
- Notice of the annual audit of accounts for the year ending 31 March 2015: the Clerk reported that the Annual Return had been received from Grant Thornton UK LLP and would need to be submitted by 15 June 2015.
- Members to formally adopt APC’s policy on (i) Donations to Charitable Organisations dated 4 March 2015 (ii) Walks and Runs dated 4 March 2015. (Previously circulated to members and see Appendix 1 and 2 retrospectively). The Clerk tabled the two documents and it was unanimously agreed to adopt both. Proposed by Mr Daniel and seconded by Mr Howell.
- Councillor Training: Mrs Lewis said she had the 6 May 2015 earmarked for Councillor training and would confirm the date shortly.
- As part of the 2015/16 budget-making process, WC had resolved to recharge the cost of parish council elections back to parish councils. The new arrangements would apply for vacancies occurring on or after 1 April 2015. The Clerk read out the following information she had received from WALC:Under the Representation of the People Act 1983, section 5.”All expenditure properly incurred by a returning officer in relation to the holding of an election of a parish councillor, shall… Be paid by the district council, but any expenditure so incurred, shall, if the district council so require, be repaid to that council by the council of the parish for which the election is held.”In discussion, members felt they should have more information about the likely costs and the services APC would be required to pay for. Action: Clerk to write to WC to request they provide a financial estimate for the election cost for APC.Mrs Lewis (presiding Chairman) asked Dr Bedford for clarification on which WC budget would be used for footpath 22 repairs. See item 10 e. Dr Bedford had not had a reply from WC to date and would action this again.
- Cheques for payment and cheques for ratification: It was unanimously agreed that the following cheques be paid:
- NT: rent for Sports Field 30 Mar 2014 – 29 Mar 2015 £60.00
- Kate Fry: website administration services +
domain and hosting costs [past 12 months] £266.35
- Peter Swatton: repairs to concrete bus shelter
including £30.00 for two new roof joists and installation £880.00
- Liz Moore: additional hours in March 2015 + expenses
+ pay in lieu of holiday [1 March 2014 – 31 March 2015] £364.26
Proposed by Mr Brotheridge and seconded by Mrs Kremer. Cheques signed by Dr Bedford and Mrs Lewis. [N.B. as per APC’s Financial Regulations, the Clerk had approved the additional £30.00 requested by Mr Peter Swatton].
- Annual Parish meeting: Review of past year and preview of next 12 months: All welcome at 7pm on Tuesday 21 April 2014 at the Social Centre. [Dr Bedford gave his apologies].
- Date of next meeting and formal AGM: 7pm on Tuesday 5th May 2015.
- Any other business:
- Dog Fouling: Mr Brotheridge reported there was a considerable amount of dog mess on Knoll Down at Beckhampton and asked if it would be possible to put a sign on the stile e.g. requesting members of the public to pick up after their dogs. Action: Clerk to put this subject on next meeting’s agenda.
- Conservative Party Advertising: Mr Howell reported there was a very large picture of Claire Perry MP situated on the roadside verge near Beckhampton roundabout. Members noted (i) the advertising had been erected on the public highway (ii) it was a very large sign to be displayed in a WHS. Action: Clerk referred the motion to the APC Planning Committee for comment only. Members noted that as members of the public they could contact WC about this issue themselves.
Mrs Lewis (Vice-Chairman) invited Mr Fry to ask a question. Mr Fry said there was also a problem with dog fouling on the Sports Field and he would like this to be included on the agenda for the next meeting.
- The meeting closed at 21:20
Appendices (included in the book of Parish Council papers):
- Design for new boundary wall at Bridge House
- Proposed Sections and Elevations
- Existing and Proposed Site Plan
- Two Artists Sketches
- Notes from Transport Group meeting 19 March 2015
- Guidelines for grants and donations dated 4 March 2015
- General policy on charity and commercial runs and walks centred on Avebury dated 4 March 2015