Avebury Parish Council
Minutes of an Extra Ordinary meeting of Avebury Parish Council held on Saturday 16th January at 10 a.m. in Avebury Trusloe
Present: Councillors Mr Andrew Williamson (chairman), Mrs Maggie Lewis (vice chairman), Mr Mike Daniel, Ms Zandria Service, Mrs Antoinette Kremer and Mrs Lynzey Paradise.
6 members of the public were in attendance
- Public question time
Members of the public who attended were invited to contribute their views and opinions at appropriate points in the meeting
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Dr. Mike Bedford and Mr. David Brotheridge
- Declarations of interest
- Minutes of meeting held on 1 December 2015
The Chairman reported that the Clerk had found an error in appendix 4 on APC’s reserves where a figure of £11,000 should be substituted for £10,900. Subject to this amendment, the minutes were accepted as a true record. Proposed by Mrs Lewis, seconded by Mr Daniel
- Matters arising
There were no matters arising
- Inspection of Play Area and members to consider possible works including:
- Repair of wire fence: The Chairman reported that Mr Martin Rendle had been contacted about repairs but was unaware of any progress. Following inspection and discussion it was agreed that the damaged section of chain link fencing be replaced and stronger supporting wire be used top and bottom. Some chain link fencing from the western boundary of the play area had been stored in Mr Butler’s barn some years previously. Clerk to action. Proposed by Mr Daniel, seconded by Ms Service
- Dismantling of wooden climbing frame: Councillors inspected the climbing frame and the Chairman read out the relevant passage from the RoSPA report. It was decided to refer to the manufacturers, Wicksteed, as per the report’s suggestion. Clerk to action. Proposed by Ms Service, seconded by Mrs Kremer.
Councillors then inspected the rest of the play equipment and decisions were as follows:
- swings – apart from cleaning, no action needed.
- see-saw – agreed to ask the Clerk to order new seat and check on decision made at a previous meeting about the skirt around the base. Review and put this on the March or April agenda. Proposed by Mrs Paradise, seconded by Mrs Kremer. It was noted that the brambles overhanging the fence behind the see-saw need cutting back.
- Basketball net – safety notices are needed as per the RoSPA report “A warning notice should be fitted to all sports related equipment with the words “Do not climb on the framework or nets”, “Do not hang on the ring” (if provided), “Do not wear rings or other jewellery as these can get caught and cause injury”. Clerk to action by putting a notice, using small print size, on pillar of basketball net. The support also needs repainting with an appropriate paint.
- Consideration of additional parking for Trusloe Cottages
The Chairman tabled the plan of the Nursery site showing the areas owned by APC, Centurion Western and Aster. The area was walked and it was decided that the matter should be considered in a full APC meeting after the forthcoming meeting with Centurion Western.
Councillors then walked down to numbers 1 – 4 Trusloe to view the parking problems
that occur regularly.
(At this point the meeting was temporarily adjourned to help Mr Butler round up some of his cows which had escaped onto the road)
It was apparent that additional parking was needed both there and outside numbers 5 & 6 and options considered were to make a parking lay-by from outside number 1 Trusloe to the telephone kiosk, to extend the existing parking lay-by outside numbers 5 & 6 Trusloe and to consider the Nursery site for additional parking after the meeting with Centurion Western. Transport Group to consider and make recommendations.
- Road sweeping
The requested road sweeping had clearly not yet happened. Clerk to follow up with Wiltshire Council.
The suggestion that double yellow lines be painted on the corner of the turning outside numbers 4 and 5 Trusloe Cottages was made as cars belonging to residents regularly park there in contravention of Rule 243 of the Highway Code.
- Possible provision of litter bins
Mrs Kremer stated she had been asked by local residents to request litter bins at the nursery site. The meeting considered whether this was a problem and felt that there was a need to review the situation before a decision could be made. Mrs Kremer was asked to monitor the situation and report back to APC
- Oil tank in front garden of 39 Trusloe Cottages
A complaint had been received that an oil tank had been installed at the above property without the relevant planning permission. The Chairman stated that the Clerk had advised that the Parish Council was not responsible for planning decisions and should not therefore be involved. He said that he had previously received the complaint and had therefore asked that the issue be put on the agenda. Wiltshire planners had also suggested this in their email to the complainant. It would be open to members to note that they could not take a decision. Councillors looked at the site but did not discuss the issue.
- Solutions for improving access to bus stops at Avebury Trusloe
It had been suggested that a dropped kerb be installed at the junction with Beckhampton Road (A4361). Mrs Lynne Swatton, a resident of Avebury Trusloe, submitted a photograph of a large lorry at the junction to illustrate how dangerous a dropped kerb would be there. It was agreed that this would be a very dangerous place for a dropped kerb and the Chairman noted that the Parish Council had taken the same view some time ago.
Members agreed that a dropped kerb should be installed outside numbers 43 and 44 Trusloe Cottages. As this part of the road is on the area owned by Aster it was felt to be their responsibility. Clerk to action.
The meeting also inspected 3 sets of railings on pathways, one at the junction of Nash Lane by Longstones and one set at either end of the path by Stratton House which appear to have been installed to impede access. All agreed that these restricted those in wheelchairs or mobility scooters or those pushing pushchairs and that they seemed unnecessary and should be removed. The set of railings at the end of footpath onto the A4361 to access the bus stops appear to have been widened and it was felt that these should remain for safety reasons. It was agreed that the Parish Council seek the views of residents by putting a notice in UKN.
- Possible speed limit/zebra crossing on A4361
The Chairman reported that in a recent meeting with Councillor Philip Whitehead as Cabinet Member for Wiltshire Highways both the matter of a possible lowering of the speed limit to 40 mph and the installation of a zebra crossing on the A4361 to improve safety and access to and from the bus stops was raised.
Wiltshire Highways had stated that a zebra crossing would not be allowed under national guidelines that required at least 50 crossings per hour for at least four hours a day. A 40mph limit on the A4361 was not supported by Wiltshire Highways because there was enough evidence of human habitation and it was thought it would not change drivers’ behaviour.
The imposition of a speed limit of 20, 30 or 40 mph in Trusloe was thought to be a possibility and the Chairman suggested a survey of the perceived and actual speeds on the road. Transport Group to action.
- Lighting in bus shelters
West side (northbound buses) – light and appropriate wiring is in place but there was some doubt whether the light worked. It may need a replacement bulb. Clerk to action.
East side (southbound buses) – light is installed but no supply feed cable so the light won’t work.
An examination of the timetable showed that there were up to approximately 3 or 4 buses in the morning and in the evening, dependent on the time of year, which would run during the darker hours. APC had already been advised of the costs of installing lighting in the east side shelter and it would be prohibitive. The possible use of a solar powered system was discussed but no decision was taken.
- Date of next meeting: Tuesday 2 February 2016
- Any other business
There being no other business, the meeting closed at 11.45